Support

Open search

Galaxy Watch - screen wake up/turn off behaviour is irritating

Highlighted
Navigator

I got my Galaxy Watch on Friday and for the most part I love it. However, a couple of things really bug me about a) the consistency of the wake up gesture and b) its tendency to turn the screen off much more quickly than it should.

 

So for a) - sometimes I just find that the wake up gesture doesn't work at all and I have to put my arm down and then back up again until it works. This feature is one of the most fundamental aspects of a smart watch that needs to work. It is especially noticable if I'm lying down but occasionally causes issues when sitting or standing. I think it's something your engineers really need to look at as, after a quick Google, I've seen many people complain about it on the Gear S3. I hope this is looked into as the fact it was an issue back then but still hasn't been fixed is a bit of a bad sign to me...

 

For b) I have 2 main issues. 1 is that the screen timeout setting only applies if the watch was woken up by the buttons and not by the wake up gesture. I think it's fine to have a different screen timeout if it was woken by gesture, but it should really be a configurable option.

 

The other annoyance is that the screen turns off when you tilt the watch back down. I think this is OK if you've woken the watch up with a gesture but it should be possible to disable this if the watch has been woken up by buttons or the dial. 

108 REPLIES 108
Highlighted

anybody noticed that AOD kick in the screen moves one milimeter to the left? or is it just my watch? I see this regardless of the watch face I use.

Highlighted

@RickB1 

What these people are asking for is for the watch to be totally on if they so choose.  AOD to them mean full brightness and functionality, not what you and I know AOD to mean as a dimmer, limited version of the watch face.  NO smartwacthes from Samsung EVER had a 100% on feature. 

 

As far as one other complaint, I too hate it when you have AOD set to ON and when you flick your wrist to wake it, the full display is only on for a few seconds instead of what you set Screen Timeout to.  You have to wake the watch with a double tap or the bezel to have the full screen on for the length of time Screen Timeout is set to.  There should be a setting in my opinion under AOD for Wake-Up Gesture to have the FULL display on for either the value of Screen Timeout or another value.  Probably the best version of that setting should be called "Wake-Up Gesture Screen Timeout" with it defaulting to 5 seconds and customizable up to 5 mins, just like regular Screen Timeout.

Highlighted

@Karoll0 

Yes that can be the case depending on the watch face because the AOD display is in actuality a SEPARATELY developed watch face image that overlays over the true watch face. If the developer was not careful enough, it is VERY noticeable.  Most of the time it is barely or not reconizable if it was developed accurately.

Highlighted
Indeed, this worked for me. Thanks!
Highlighted

I saw an app listed a few pages back called "I am Alive" (found on the Galaxy Store). I have been using it for a day and a half now it it definitely works. It's kind of a work around for something Samsung should have baked in but it works.

The watch does take a hit in the battery using it but that was expected.

Highlighted

@bp328i wrote:

I saw an app listed a few pages back called "I am Alive" (found on the Galaxy Store). I have been using it for a day and a half now it it definitely works. It's kind of a work around for something Samsung should have baked in but it works.

The watch does take a hit in the battery using it but that was expected.


Do you have a link to that app, I can't find it. Please? 

Highlighted

It works for me :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

 

It was confusing at first. You go into the app, press to turn it on and it goes green. But if you then press the top button on your watch to leave the screen, rather than just leaving, it turns it off as you leave. So when you come back into the app it's turned off and you wonder what's going on.

 

The trick is to press the bottom button to leave the app instead. Then it will remain 'green'.

 

You know it's all good when you get this screen a few hours later :grinning-face-with-one-large-and-one-small-eye:

 

2019-04-01 22.54.06.jpg

I now get to choose to turn off this new (real) always on feature if battery life is a concern (which for me it won't be 99 days out of 100).

Highlighted

@Cryztal wrote:

@bp328i wrote:

I saw an app listed a few pages back called "I am Alive" (found on the Galaxy Store). I have been using it for a day and a half now it it definitely works. It's kind of a work around for something Samsung should have baked in but it works.

The watch does take a hit in the battery using it but that was expected.


Do you have a link to that app, I can't find it. Please? 


Highlighted

@d4005 wrote:

It works for me :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

 

It was confusing at first. You go into the app, press to turn it on and it goes green. But if you then press the top button on your watch to leave the screen, rather than just leaving, it turns it off as you leave. So when you come back into the app it's turned off and you wonder what's going on.

 

The trick is to press the bottom button to leave the app instead. Then it will remain 'green'.

 

You know it's all good when you get this screen a few hours later :grinning-face-with-one-large-and-one-small-eye:

 

2019-04-01 22.54.06.jpg

I now get to choose to turn off this new (real) always on feature if battery life is a concern (which for me it won't be 99 days out of 100).


I know why Samsung won't implement this natively, it's a battery crusher. I had it enabled from 7:00am this morning (fully charged) till about 3:00pm and right now at 6:15pm I'm at 26% battery left. The app it's self is not killing the battery, it's the watch face and I'm using the stock Tomcat face. 

 

It's a nice option to have but not something I will use all day every day. I will use it more so for when I'm running, going out, things like that. 

Highlighted

I still can't find an app called I am alive?? 

Top Liked Authors