Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch S-Health calories

(Topic created on: 05-08-2020 09:24 PM)
kdwzoso
Apprentice
Options

I've had my watch for just over a week and while I'm really pleased with the quality and looks of the watch, as a fitness tracker it's pretty hopeless. I tried using it for a bag workout but found it would constantly lose my heart rate and recorded less than half of actual calories burned. So insted I'm using my Polar chest strap with my iPad to record, then manually putting the workout into S-Health. However, those calories don't get added to the watch calorie display. Does anyone know why?

It's a shame because with a software update, better S-Health app and chest strap support the watch would be near perfect. Seriously thinking about returning it and sticking with my Versa.

7 REPLIES 7
kdwzoso
Apprentice
Options
Just to add. My watch records around 1600 calories burned every day. However, I added my food calories on the watch and my burned calories jumped up to 1800??? What is that all about? This software seems truly broken and confusing.
Why doesn't it just record my calories from my heart rate and add anything I manually add to the app when it syncs. On iPhone it doesn't even show total calories or a calorie balance. What a joke.
0 Likes
LordFibonacci
First Poster
Options

The reason it registers more calories burned when you enter the food you've eaten is because the very act of digesting food burns calories :winking-face:

It's a pretty advanced tracker if you ask me and far superior to the iPhone one.

0 Likes
LColvin
First Poster
Options

I came from a Fitbit Ionic.  The fitbit tracks calories based on heart rate.  The Samsung health app tracks it based on a standard calories-per-hour rate (you can find this by opening the exercise widget in the Samsung health app, select am exercise, click the three vehicle dots in the top right, and click enter data).  You'll see the calories per things in the top right.

So this means you will see no difference between 30 mins of hardcore circuit training vs. 30 minutes of light circuit training.  You won't see the difference between running a 6 min mile down a steep hill or running a 6 min mile up hill.

While I've seen some reviews applauding Samsung on having so many types of workouts logs, I see this as a negative thing because all these exercise types are based on a cal/hr output that doesn't take into account heart rate.

With Samsung building up wearable, hopefully they will add the feature to track calories based on intensity (heart rate) rather than just time + type of exercise + profile info.

Garry4
Journeyman
Options

Only just found this out, very disappointed :face-with-rolling-eyes:

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

I have been tracking calories from exercise for a few months and it's really disappointing that it doesn't take into account heart rate zones. Even stranger is that they give the information with the same section on the app and then apparently ignore it in the calculation. I would have never switched from Fitbit had I known. Does anyone know the formula to calculate this more accurately?

LeeThomps
First Poster
Options

Any news on when this will be updated. Ridiculous that @samsung are launching a new watch again and they can't fix simple software issues. Surely it will be updated soon.

NeilForsberg
First Poster
Options

It should have been fixed looooong before even thinking about releasing this junk. I’m going back to Garmin.