Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Galaxy watch run sync to strava issue

(Topic created on: 19-09-2018 06:52 PM)
joff1979
Apprentice
Options

I have had an issue with strava showing the wrong time and distance on my runs recorded via the new galaxy watch and synced via health. 

I initially raised this with strava and they looked into it on their side and came up with this response - 

"I looked at both of those activities and the problem is definitely caused by the data provided by Samsung Health. The data is just very inconsistent. First of all, there are only GPS points every 5 seconds, and Strava (and many other apps and devices) use 1 second sampling. The infrequent sampling contributes to inaccuracies. 

The second, and probably primary, issue is that the file shows many "stacked points" which cause problems with our data processing. This means that the file contains data points with time, but without GPS updates, and when we parse the data it looks like you're not moving at those points. So it looks like you're resting, and that resting time is removed from your pace calculations and makes your pace and moving time inaccurate."

Is there anything I can do to sort this? It is very annoying and it is looking like I am going to have to record runs on my phone as well as my watch. Are there any other watch apps that might record better than the Samsung app? 

13 REPLIES 13
Tomino
Apprentice
Options

Hi, I am having the same problem... but I have found a workaround.

In the Strava application edit your synced run/ride/... and mark it as a Race.

It should give you very similar results (moving time/ lap time / avg. pace/....) to those which are in your Samsung health application.

At least this works for me. 

Write a feedback if this works for you as well.

Good luck.

Solution
Tomino
Apprentice
Options

@joff1979 wrote:

I have had an issue with strava showing the wrong time and distance on my runs recorded via the new galaxy watch and synced via health. 

I initially raised this with strava and they looked into it on their side and came up with this response - 

"I looked at both of those activities and the problem is definitely caused by the data provided by Samsung Health. The data is just very inconsistent. First of all, there are only GPS points every 5 seconds, and Strava (and many other apps and devices) use 1 second sampling. The infrequent sampling contributes to inaccuracies. 

The second, and probably primary, issue is that the file shows many "stacked points" which cause problems with our data processing. This means that the file contains data points with time, but without GPS updates, and when we parse the data it looks like you're not moving at those points. So it looks like you're resting, and that resting time is removed from your pace calculations and makes your pace and moving time inaccurate."

Is there anything I can do to sort this? It is very annoying and it is looking like I am going to have to record runs on my phone as well as my watch. Are there any other watch apps that might record better than the Samsung app? 

Hi, I am having the same problem... but I have found a workaround.

In the Strava application edit your synced run/ride/... and mark it as a Race.

It should give you very similar results (moving time/ lap time / avg. pace/....) to those which are in your Samsung health application.

At least this works for me. 

Write a feedback if this works for you as well.

Good luck.

joff1979
Apprentice
Options

Awesome! That worked for me. Thanks

Tomino
Apprentice
Options
You are welcome.
Before I have found this workaround I wanted to return back this new watch.
But still... this is not the best customer experience from new watch as Samsung marketed Galaxy watch with Strava logo on their site (and it was a reason why I have purchased it as well)
0 Likes
joff1979
Apprentice
Options
Only issue now is that the distance is out. However it is definitely a lot closer than before.
0 Likes
Tomino
Apprentice
Options
There was an update of Shealt app on Galaxy watch today ... I will test it tomorrow if they solved this issue or not because I believe it's issue of Samsung watch how its create a GPS data...
I have tried to use Endomondo app on watch instead of Shealt and manually import the .gpx file to strava and the same results appear... so hopefully Samsung will update SW in watch in some time :smiling-face:
0 Likes
Erwin6
First Poster
Options
First day I have my Galaxy smart watch.
How can I get the Strava app?
0 Likes
JEDPAUSE
Journeyman
Options

Strava native app just arrived on Galaxy Apps for Android and iOS 16/11/18

0 Likes
Dwang
Journeyman
Options

Don't use the Galaxy Watch for running.

Buy a Garmin FR645 for that purpose.

Muts more reable than the Galaxy Watch.

Use the galaxy for fun and nothing more.