Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy watch rash

(Topic created on: 17-09-2022 04:27 PM)
Roro87
Apprentice
Options

Rash on part of my wrist from wearing the new 2018 46mm watchRash on part of my wrist from wearing the new 2018 46mm watch

I received my pre ordered Samsung Gear 46mm 2018 watch on September 7th 2018 and have been wearing it often. Remove it for showering and charging and sometimes I sleep with it.

Recently iv noticed this rash developing and it slightly irritates me. The rash area is sore red and it looks like the skin is stretched or burnt. Th picture does bit show as clear as seen in person.

Iv done some googling and found a few people complain about similar rash on the older gear watches. They state it could be the strap and say to try it on the other hand to see if you have an allergic reaction etc.

I have a bit of an issue with this, I am a contractor and work with my hands, if this causes something more serious or stops me from doing my work it would be financially un-beneficial for me.

I have been tested befoe for allergies and my results came back clear so I dont know exactly what going on. 

If anybody from Samsung or otherwise can provide some insight into my situation please let me know asap. It's a bit annoying paying 300 quid for a watch that's going to give me a rash

Cheers

491 REPLIES 491
rfuller53
First Poster
Options

I didn't have this problem with the galaxy watch 4 but the galaxy watch 5 pro did fry me! Right under the sensor. The upper layer of skin actually stuck to the watch. I keep it clean and take it off when I got in the shower. What is going on with this? 

rfuller53_0-1663428429657.jpeg

0 Likes
willjoe
Explorer
Options

Smartwatches and activity trackers have long been associated with skin irritation and, in many cases, this problem is caused by sensitive skin, allergies to nickel or other irritants, sweat accumulation, poor hygiene, or tight bands.

Regards,

Will

0 Likes
Harsh Vardhan
Apprentice
Options

Hi Wiil,

This is not true, It is not hygiene issue. I returned my galaxy classic watch 2 due to serious burns under the watch. I can confirm I am not allergic to Nikel or have sensitive skin. I switched to Fitbit sense after that I am regularly wearing the watch while doing exercise, yoga and gym no rash or burnt marks even after continuously wearing it.

Sam8988378
Journeyman
Options

I had a Fitbit, no problem. I have 8 watches, including a Swatch with a soft plastic band. No problem. Not a problem with the back of the watch, but with the band. My wrist smelled severely like old cheese when the watch was removed. Scrubbed with soap. Wrist then slightly smelled of old cheese. Lemon juice helped with that. No metal allergies. Never had them.

It's the band. Don't need a rocket scientist to discern that from all the similar stories. It's likely some chemical in the manufacturing process.  Own up to it.

0 Likes
Sam8988378
Journeyman
Options

No it isn't an allergy to heavy metals, unless the flexible, pliant band is laden with heavy metals? The old cheese smell is where the band is, not necessarily the back of the watch.

I have precious metal jewelry, bands for my wrists. I also have metal bracelets made by craftspeople, using unconventional metal materials. No reactions, no funky cheese smell.

It's the chemicals used in manufacturing the band. What is the problem with Samsung acknowledging it? You make a mistake, you own up to it.

0 Likes
catflap
Navigator
Options

I never got a reply from Samsung and could never find a suitable replacement strap.

I now have the Watch 5 Pro and have had no rashes the few months I've been wearing it. So for me, the strap on my first watch was the culprit, and not the battery, as some others have had irritation from the battery and not the strap.

Now I am happy, satisfied, and rash-free with Watch 5 Pro.

Sam8988378
Journeyman
Options

See? In another forum they were taking about the decline in quality of Samsung phones. Of course I had to add the problem with the wristbands, and the way Samsung personnel blamed the victim (hygiene, allergies), without once acknowledging that it was the watch band. By the time you're old enough to wear a watch like this, you know whether you're allergic or not. And to mass-accuse those with watchband issues of poor hygiene is just insulting.

To solve the problem you bought Samsung's latest watch? You're a more trusting person than I am.  I now have no faith that, should anything malfunction, I wouldn't be on my own.  Samsung isn't standing behind its products.  It seems to be doing the customer care equivalent of when you buy stuff off a truck in a parking lot.

I would have to see some sort of acknowledgement, an offer to fix that which was defective, in order to trust Samsung again.

Eidy
Student
Options

How many replies stating allergy while wearing Galaxy watches?

I have tried to wear my Watch 3 many times over the past year with same allergic reaction.  Unbearable itch and red skin.  My allergy is to the metal backing or something inside the Watch?  Has anyone got any satisfaction from Samsung yet?   I'd there a class action?  Can anyone tell me anything at all please?

0 Likes
Gazza40
Pathfinder
Options
Nope no cure for it, it's the sensors on back of watch. I can wear them with phone switched off so it isn't the metal
0 Likes
catflap
Navigator
Options

I replied to this thread about 4 years ago because I also had a rash from the watch band. As far as I can tell there was never a reply from Samsung either in this thread or anywhere on the news or Twitter or the Samsung website. Nor was there ever a solution or watch band exchange offered.

Last year I looked for a replacement band because the band itself was falling apart. And I couldn't find any. So I bought the Galaxy watch 5 Pro instead and have had no rash at all either from the band or the watch casing. So for me that is proof that there was something in the previous watch band that gave us all rashes on our wrists.

As far as an allergic reaction to the metal on the previous watch, I never had an experience with that, only with the watch band.

Besides being satisfied with the Galaxy watch 5 Pro watch band, the watch itself weighs less and is not as bulky as the previous.

0 Likes