Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy watch rash

(Topic created on: 22-02-2021 11:00 PM)
Roro87
Apprentice
Options

Rash on part of my wrist from wearing the new 2018 46mm watchRash on part of my wrist from wearing the new 2018 46mm watch

I received my pre ordered Samsung Gear 46mm 2018 watch on September 7th 2018 and have been wearing it often. Remove it for showering and charging and sometimes I sleep with it.

Recently iv noticed this rash developing and it slightly irritates me. The rash area is sore red and it looks like the skin is stretched or burnt. Th picture does bit show as clear as seen in person.

Iv done some googling and found a few people complain about similar rash on the older gear watches. They state it could be the strap and say to try it on the other hand to see if you have an allergic reaction etc.

I have a bit of an issue with this, I am a contractor and work with my hands, if this causes something more serious or stops me from doing my work it would be financially un-beneficial for me.

I have been tested befoe for allergies and my results came back clear so I dont know exactly what going on. 

If anybody from Samsung or otherwise can provide some insight into my situation please let me know asap. It's a bit annoying paying 300 quid for a watch that's going to give me a rash

Cheers

491 REPLIES 491
hhoffmano
First Poster
Options

I have had the Galaxy Watch 3 45mm with the leather strap for about a month and started developing this annoying rash. I have been careful not to get it wet when washing my hands and drying the area immediately upon washing my hands but that is not helping. I think I'm going to return the watch unless Samsung provides a solution.

16112732311071878964970230846219.jpg

0 Likes
thekeyman
First Poster
Options

I too have this issue, don't need to be wearing it for long periods either, will Samsung cover the price of a new strap, as this seems to be a issue with a lot of users.

0 Likes
lialse33
First Poster
Options

I'd favor to stick with the local Samsung software rather than a third birthday celebrationsite however without my call emergency medical responders will have no idea whom they may be treating.

0 Likes
Tony_siva
First Poster
Options

Hi my name is Tony,  I've noticed this nasty looking rash on my wrist from my galaxy watch, I never get rashes and also although its waterproof i don't wear my watch in the wet, how can I fix this and prevent it from happening again? Please and thank you

20210203_114116.jpg

20210203_114015.jpg

20210203_114008.jpg

  

0 Likes
MisterEdw
First Poster
Options

Though it has been awhile since you posted your concern, I'm going to suggest you read various online posts under the search string "rash under smartwatch band" and compare to your comments.

I have noticed the same issue, and it has little to do with the watch itself, and much more to do with the moisture that builds up beneath the band. Apple smartwatch users have similar issues, as do other smartwatch makers, regardless of brand name.

The answer has to do with finding ways to prevent moisture buildup beneath the band, up to and including simply not wearing the watch for awhile. Others have tried powders, fabric bands, and more, with varying success.

0 Likes
MisterEdw
First Poster
Options

Suggest you do a search under "rash under smartwatch band."
I did, and found that owners of various makes of watches and watchbands (not just smartwatches) have experienced this problem.

It's not the materials in the band, and isn't Samsung's fault (unless they are at fault for selling watches with bands!). It is the tendency for moisture to build up beneath a band (regardless the materials it's made from) then dead skin and moisture become rancid and an itchy irritation develops that will continue until the watch is removed long enough to allow the skin to heal.

After healing, you might want to try powder, or perhaps seek other ways to absorb or prevent excess moisture beneath the band, rotate from one wrist to the other and back each day, etc.

0 Likes
Brendan-B
First Poster
Options

I had the exact same spot, directly under the heart rate sensor. This red rash started a few weeks after using my Samsung Galaxy watch.  If Samsung is is not willing to cover this and fix the issue I will most likely leave off purchasing from them going forward. 

Hikevint
Student
Options

If that's the case, why haven't my other watches caused rashes? I have rubber (plastic) bands like this one, leather bands, and cloth bands. None of them have caused any type rash. And I'm willing to bet that the majority of people on this thread haven't either. If everyone had rashes while wearing a watch we'd still be using pocket watches. Please don't tell us it's all the same because you did a Google search. 

Carl Elamin
First Poster
Options

yeah the same case with my Brother , and i thought this a sign of Fungal infection but doctor told me about this rashes just for your watch. If Samsung is is not willing to cover this i will be leave to wear this watch. i complained on twitter but not respond.

0 Likes
Peted83
Student
Options

Well thats a load of *****. 'Suggest you look at the other 100s of posts regarding this'. It's now been 2 years since I originally posted which was about 6 months after ownership. 

I've had various watches with a rubber band before that without the rash ever occurring. I've had two straps since without it occurring whilst using them. I also tried for a month with the original Samsung strap after cleaning it with an alcohol wipe and disinfecting it as a trial and it occurred again. 

Please don't pass reading articles on the internet as fact. How do you know that those particular articles weren't relating to a band from the same supplier? How do you know it wasn't multiple suppliers using the same materials? What research have you done? 

How is it that various people have used various bands without an issue? How is it I've used various bands before and since, yet gone back 20 months later to the same original band where the rash occurred originally as a test and then it occurred again?

I wear my watch daily so habits haven't changed. I haven't needed to swap wrists with these replacement bands, I haven't needed to use powder, whats your prognosis professor?  

0 Likes