Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Galaxy Watch Rapid Battery Drain

(Topic created on: 29-10-2020 09:21 AM)
DalBoy
Journeyman
Options

After updating my Galaxy Watch 46mm two days ago my battery is draining rapidly. Less than 8 hours to go flat.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Before the update I was on a great 4 to 5 days before needing a charge.

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

159 REPLIES 159
Guardianofthegalaxy
First Poster
Options

I didn't had to go that far to uninstall these applications when I had this issue with my watch about three weeks ago.

It was a factory reset which worked for me. Just make sure to avoid the automatic updates, there must be a faulty app. I don't know which one it is but I assume it may be the "Samsung Health" app and/or "Spotify".

Anyways: With a factory reset and no updates after the factory reset my battery lasts for 4-5 days with occasional GPS usage (for activity tracking). 😊

0 Likes
artur777
Explorer
Options

For me too, a FACTORY RESET solved the issue, so it's definitely the way to go. 

I discovered it was the Bluetooth module which was causing the issue and for some reason it started to malfunction over time thus the watch needed to be reset to the factory settings and that fixed the problem. I tried restarting, removing/disabling apps and watch face apps, but none of that worked for me. It was the BT module that was draining the battery. My smartwatch was constantly losing connection and freezing occasionally and it turned out it was the BT module that was draining the battery while trying to reconnect. 

Once you've done the factory reset all should be fine, at least it is for me, and the watch works like brand new. I easily get up to 4 full days on a single charge and sometimes even more. I do NOT recommend disabling automatic updates though as you should keep your apps updated for security and compatibility reasons. It's unlikely there's any particular app like Samsung Health or Spotify, or watch face that can drain your battery excessively unless you know for sure one of them is the culprit and you should be able to see that in the Samsung Wear app on your phone. Still, you should try not to overload your watch by installing too many 3rd party apps and definitely not all of them at once. Try installing one app at a time if you really need it and monitor your battery usage in the Samsung Wear app on your phone for some time. 

There's also an excellent 3rd party app that monitors the watch battery and it's called BATTERY GRAPH. The app runs in the background (with minimal battery consumption) and takes records of your watch battery level every 10 minutes. You can see your battery usage in a very useful graph up to 72 hours back. Ideally, the graph should look like a smooth line slowly going down without any sudden drops unless there's something that drains your battery excessively. I found this app extremely useful and I recommend installing it if you have any battery draining issues. Note, the Battery Graph app will not tell you which apps or watch faces drain your battery, you'll still need to check the Samsung Wear app to find out, but at least it can help you to pinpoint the issue. 

0 Likes
javakarana
First Poster
Options

Same here, the watch is worthless with such a short battery life. I am returning my watch too.

freddy261
Student
Options
Performed a backup of my watch, factory reset and then recovered from the backup. Everything okay for several months so far.
0 Likes
semi65
First Poster
Options
my watch is showing fully charged ...60 mins later its dead ... any ideas
Mitza30
First Poster
Options

Hi everyone. About a month ago I received my watch (46 mm) and from the begining the battery was lasting maximum 2 days. After I've read everyones reply I was surprised to see that others were lasting 4-5 days.

So, I've checked the battery usage and the  watch face was draining the battery because of the wake up gesture, I turned that off because the watch was continously on doing any movement, driving & running in my case. 

Tuesday morning I took it from its charger with 100% at exactly 9 o'clock, right now I've got left 53% of the battery. And the watch has been used alot as I am delivering and moving for like 8-9 hours a day. If you don't do much moving it should last even longer, mine is showing that the Samsung health app consumed 29% but it's still better, in exactly 48 hours the battery went from 100% to 43%.

Also, everything on the watch is updated so to me that wasn't the problem, hope this going to solve yours, guys. 

0 Likes
Rich21
Journeyman
Options

Exactly the same has happened to me. 100% charged at 11pm and 9% 10hrs later and this is after more recent update.

Rich21
Journeyman
Options
I have sent the watch back to Samsung to fault find the issue
0 Likes
swanny83
Student
Options
It's strange, I purchased mine via EE added on to my price plan, as soon as it was paid off, I cancelled it and since the battery life has been poor, I thought it was strange, had it for 2 years and will be lucky if I get 8 hours from it now
0 Likes
Rich21
Journeyman
Options
Hi mate. I was having the exact same issues with the watch face taking 12 to 15% of the battery. I eventually sent the watch off for repair and £144 later new battery, new board? and new back cover im getting the same battery life before the update..strange
0 Likes