Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch not measuring Heart rate

(Topic created on: 22-03-2019 09:52 AM)
M1ch3ll3
Apprentice
Options

I have the new Galaxy watch, received on 7th September and after 1 recorded exercise the heart rate monitor is flatlining after 10 minutes. 

First walk

Screenshot_20180913-113612_Samsung Health.jpg

First run below

Screenshot_20180913-113603_Samsung Health.jpg

Second recorded walk

Screenshot_20180913-113553_Samsung Health.jpg

I am annoyed as I want to keep track of my heart rate during exercise. I also wonder if this effects the calories burned if it cannot record the heart rate correctly. 

This appears to be a common theme for Samsung watches as my husbands S3 did the same, purchased Sept 2017, at the beginning of the year. 

433 REPLIES 433
4nd3r5
Student
Options

I must say that for a "premium watch" not to have functions work properly is appalling.

I have the same problem as everyone else here.

SAMSUNG please. Take back the watches and reimburse the customers, or FIX THE PROBLEM!!!

And by the way, have a nice day!

/A

Fjosok
Student
Options

I have actually moved from "disappointed" to "kind of OK with it". I will summarize the steps I think makes my GW return acceptable HR readings: 

- Turn off/disable the Power saving's ablity to manage sensors (under settings, apps, permissions, system apps, power saving)

- Turn off all Shealth autodetect activity

- Only use a third party app to record HR during exercise ( I currently use an app called Gear Tracker, which supposedly restarts the HR sensor when it detects it is off. for my running i like it a lot. Strava works as well. others I have not tried, but might work as well - just avoid SHealth! ) 

- Wear the watch ridiculously tight during exercise. I usually pull the watch a couple of cm's back on my arm, and tighten as much as I can and then some - (loosen slightly if your hand turns blue - but you may have to live with it being red...you stop noticing once you start your exercise...)

0 Likes
GaryBrett
Voyager
Options

Just to add to that:
- Always reboot the device before doing any HIIT based workouts.
- If, sorry when it fails during a workout set HR to manual, measure then set it back to always, this at least allows the workout to continue albeit interrupted.
- I now wear a wristband (Nike Sweatband) over the watch and way up the arm, maybe 2 inches above wristbone

With above I can usually now get a 70/80% HR reading over an hours HIIT, far from perfect but will do until I can afford a Garmin Fenix :smiling-face:

Bernardo5
Pioneer
Options

Just been on a bike ride this morning and using Shealth was rubbish for tracking heart rate. I switched to Gear Tracker and the problem I get with GT is that if you have the Galaxy Watch connected to your mobile phone it won't find GPS. This has happened every time I try and use it and have my phone.  Disconnect the Bluetooth on the GW and bingo it connects immediately. Heart rate is then tracked consistently and uploaded to Strava

0 Likes
4nd3r5
Student
Options

Hi,

Just sad that you hand need to look like a Smurf-hand to make it work.

I will try tomorrow and see if it works better with the Smurf-setting.

Gary7
Journeyman
Options

I gave up and turned the HR off.  What a POS.  I don't waste my time looking at the Galaxy HR monitor at all.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

Well, for anyone who happens to see this. I purchased the new Galaxy Active watch YESTERDAY. During setup there was a software update, everything went smoothly.  TODAY, I did my first 5km with my new watch and was dissapointed to see that I TOO have the HR problem. At some point it flatlined and after the run, i cleaned my arm and the watch, wore it again and now my HR sensor is not tracking every now and again (happend twice before this post).  Changing HR measure from ALWAYS to NEVER and then manually measuring it and then changing it BACK to ALWAYS measure does solve the problem. But then after some time it happens again.... I am SUPER bummed cause I normally watch/read reviews before I make a purchase and this time I took a chance on Samsung by buying it immediatly... Not impressed at the moment seeing as this is a ongoing problem for a lot of people AND this is suppose to be Samsungs "latest and greatest" watch.... FIX YOUR SOFTWARE PLEASE SAMSUNG or I will ask for a refund and buy something that doesnt have these problems... 

0 Likes
GaryBrett
Voyager
Options

@Anonymous User- Not wishing to be negative but I'm 7 months in with Galaxy Watch and know of others in this group with Gear Watch who also have this issue so well over 18 months.

Excellent smartwatch, lovely looking but pointless as a fitness tracker and that's not going to change in my opinion.

If fitness is important to you I'd take advantage of the refund and grab a Fitbit/Garmin/Polar or perhaps a dedicated HR tracker worn on the upper arm. 

Maybe one day they will take note but history says not unfortunately

0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

@GaryBrett   I am sorry to hear you are experiencing similar difficulties.  I really hope a software update might fix this, as I am not pleased. Going to take it for some running the coming 3 days and see if the problem persists.  If it does, might aswell return it. LOVE the watch in general, beautiful and responsive! It's shame that the HR monitoring is faulty. 

Ps Samsung did apologize saying that I can refund it if I am not saticfied.

0 Likes
SCO7TY
Apprentice
Options

Thought I'd have a check back here to see how people are getting on! Hopefully I can save the new visotrs to this thread some time.

I tested 2 different watched for 2 months with all sorts of different exercises and it just simply doesn't work. Samsung know it doesnt. Its extremely rare, in fact I'd go as far as impossible to get a consistent HR reading for the full activity. And to be honest, sometimes when I do get a reading, it's well out.

If your like me and want to use the watch for fitness purpose's, save yourself a lot of time and money and buy another watch.