Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy watch not counting steps while mowning the lawn

(Topic created on: 22-04-2019 10:48 AM)
dfauvarq
First Poster
Options

I was mowning the lawn this morning with motor lawn mower.

During that time my Galaxy watch didn't  count the steps (I was pushing the mower). As soon as I stopped the motor, the galxycounted the steps again.

I guess there was a false detection of in car or on motorcycle activity.

Just making this comment so the Galaxy programmers can improve this behavior

Regards

Daniel

9 REPLIES 9
AndrewL
Options
@dfauvarq: This was probably caused by the vibrations from the lawnmower interfering with the pedometer. I'll pass your comments on to see if this can be remedied in the future.
0 Likes
Westsidesouthpaw
Apprentice
Options

Same issue0 please0 fix. Arms aren't swinging when we mow but feet are moving. Almost 4 miles of walking in my yard. 

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@Westsidesouthpaw: The accuracy of the step counter on the Galaxy Watch can be affected by vibrations, as well as reduced arm movement. If you're pushing something (in this case, a lawn mower) then your arms are in an upright, stationary position, which can result in your steps not being counted. If you walk with your arms swinging by your side in the traditional sense, does the watch work as expected? 

0 Likes
TNJGB
Navigator
Options

I don't think this is anything to do with vibrations. The watch does not count steps when pushing any wheeled device with a handle and this includes lawn mowers, prams and pushchairs along with golf carts. It has had this issue since at least Watch-2 and I assume it is because the arm holding the device is not swinging as when walking. FitBits count steps when pushing devices.

AkoreJepade
First Poster
Options

It would be nice if they could have the galaxy phone and the galaxy watch both look at steps to see what you are actually doing since they are connected to each other. If the watch is not seeing that you are walking since your hand or hands are on something the phone would still see that you are taking steps and would start counting them. that appears to be what Fitbit does with there devices.

0 Likes
LesD
First Poster
Options

My previous FitBit correctly counted steps when I was mowing (a long, strenuous job here). The Galaxy Watch 4 fails on this count. I put the watch in my trouser pocket and it at least counts the steps - but not the "effort".
For this reason my next watch will be a Pixel. 
Also features blocked because I don't have (=want) a Samsung phone is unreasonable. We should get a discount!

0 Likes
shs-flvn
Student
Options

Everyone can have some of my steps. Zero turn mower on 8 acres, about 5 hours, gets me 30000 steps and I never get of the mower. Yea, 30 thousand steps.

shs-flvn
Student
Options

Off not of.

0 Likes
Westsidesouthpaw
Apprentice
Options

Yes it does. 

0 Likes