Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch, maybe it isn't the real problem here?

(Topic created on: 21-09-2018 10:51 AM)
GaryBrett
Voyager
Options

If any moderators are on today @AntS could you check this if you get time?

Despite me and it seems many others blaming Galaxy Watch for all its health and fitness failings over the last 2 weeks, I may well be wrong, is it actually Samsung Health that's the big problem here?

Throughout the days and during workouts the HR is intermittent to put it politely, always breaking and just generally pointless.

Workouts started on the Watch are even worse resulting in really low calories burnt info, sometimes as much as -400 calories in an hours workout.

Tonight as a test I installed UA Record on both watch and phone and started a full body workout in UA.

Amazingly the HR didn't break once over the hour workout and Calories burnt were back up in the 500s which is what they used to be in Fitbit. Does this not prove the Galaxy Watch is monitoring ok as it's sending correct data to UA?

This I think leaves me with one conclusion, all the issues with HR, steps, calories etc are actually the Samsung Health App. The Galaxy Watch Is doing it's bit on the hardware side, being let down by the Health app..

See info below, obvious which one is S Health but just in case it's the 2nd one with the broken HR.. These workouts are the same just recorded on 2 different apps, the S Health one is typical of my graphs 24/7 :thinking-face:

If any of the above is true, could we not arrange to have the Galaxy Watch track its data straight to Google Fit or some other app while Samsung resolve the problems? I would use UA Record all day if I could but it hammers the battery on Galaxy Watch

• UA Record Workout Summary

UA Record workout on Galaxy WatchUA Record workout on Galaxy Watch

• Samsung Health HR graph for same workout

Same workout on Galaxy Watch S HealthSame workout on Galaxy Watch S Health

• UA Record on GW showing Calories & HR 

• UA Record HR graph, unbroken throughout workout 

8 REPLIES 8
Ricky2
Voyager
Options

You are correct. Most users who use alternative apps to record the workouts do have higher success rates with the HR monitor. Alternatives include UA record and gear tracker.

For me using gear tracker solves the problem.

The problem is, it's not a 100% success rate from what I've seen (other users post's). What I can say is that the problem only started happening when users upgraded to Tizen 3.0.0.2. 

0 Likes
Ricky2
Voyager
Options

I suppose the best way of testing this would be to get a user with an old device which runs an older Tizen version but the newest version of Samsung health. If they still have the problem, Samsung health is the issue. If they don't have the problem, then Tizen is the issue.

0 Likes
GaryBrett
Voyager
Options

Thank you  

If its a known issue with Samsung Health why on earth cant they simply allow us to track fitness data to another app like Google Fit even if only for a short time while they investigate? Pinning customers down to 1 app for fitness tracking is all good and makes sense if it works, but it clearly doesnt to anyone using it out here and I guess anyone testing it internally at Samsung?

Im not sure if UA Record would run in the background all day, Im certain I wouldnt want it to as its hammering my battery so uninstalled this morning.

Does Gear Tracker run on Galaxay Watch do you know, is it for workouts only or all day tracking?

0 Likes
Tazzz
Journeyman
Options

But UA records not hammer the battery, it kills the battery... u won't finish the day with it. In 10 min after install, was top battery use with 35%... 

I like the way UA looks, but can't be used because of that.

P.S. I tested the watch today with the last update, was way better even HR was ok (0,04 km difference from phone, 0,5 km before with freeze and painful experienceScreenshot_20180921-115151_Samsung Health.jpg

0 Likes
GaryBrett
Voyager
Options

Update :thinking-face: Which update is that, we havnt got one in the UK still on same software it shipped with?

0 Likes
Ricky2
Voyager
Options

Hi Garybrett,

The gear tracker app installs on the watch. It only tracks manually recorded workouts. It doesn't run all day tracking steps etc.

0 Likes
Tazzz
Journeyman
Options
Is R800XXU1BRH3. Search in galaxy wearable - about watch - update. For me it didn't show I have update until I search manually for it.
0 Likes
GaryBrett
Voyager
Options

Ahh thats not here in the UK yet but thanks anyway :thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

0 Likes