Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch Heart Rate Sensor Cover Is Loose And I Feel It Might Fall Off..!

(Topic created on: 04-02-2021 07:03 PM)
Regnarts
Pathfinder
Options

Hello All,

I bought a Samsung 'Galaxy Watch 46mm' on 5th November 2019. It is undoubtably a fantastic device and I am very pleased with it.

I must confess that I am ashamed at myself for not taking the time to make any mention of the purchase until now that I have encountered an issue (I am sorry Samsung).

Unfortunately, the heart rate sensor cover has somehow become loose and I fear that it might soon work loose enough to fall off.

I carried out some online research and discovered that this seems to be an ongoing issue with the 'Galaxy Watch'.

link to Samsung Comminity US. or copy and paste: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-Watch/Galaxy-Watch-Sensor-Cover-Fell-Off/td-p/649307

Though it is a waterproof device, please note that I have taken great care to never allow it to come into contact with any form of moisture except natural evaporation from my wrist.

I am a great fan of Samsung and own a huge range of Samsung products, including phones from the 'Galaxy S5' right up to the 'Note 10 Plus', without issues. I hope that someone at Samsung will help me sort this minor, but significant issue.

Alternatively, can anyone please suggest a constructive course of action?

Thank you in advance...!

26 REPLIES 26
Regnarts
Pathfinder
Options
Hello,

You are absolutely welcome.

It will be good if Samsung does the repair under warranty, and whichever avenue you finally take, I pray that you get an expected favourable outcome.
Regards..
CarolNew
Apprentice
Options

Thank you so much for posting this info. My sensor back has recently started to fall off due to the glue issue.  My husband cleaned it up and re-stuck it, carefully, but the sensor seems to work intermittently now so I may follow your link and buy the whole back. Looking at all of the issues which this watch has and as mine is 20 months old, I haven't even contacted Samsung.  However, it's clearly a global problem so you would imagine they would do something about it other than try to blame the user. I too take great care of my watch and never get it wet other than with sweat. My husband is more than qualified for the task of cleaning the glue and reseating the sensor but as it hasn't worked, I think he will be able to follow your guidance.  Thanks again for the details and the link.

Members_az6OfTJ
Student
Options

Exactly the same thing happened to me, it clearly is a fault with the watch. I intend to attempt a return as not fit for purpose.

Regnarts
Pathfinder
Options
I hope you get a positive experience.
Be blessed..
0 Likes
Algie42
Explorer
Options

Good evening

The letter copied below was recently received from Samsung following literally months of repeated emails being sent.

To refresh:

Algie42_0-1635886971877.jpeg

Journeyman
OPTIONS
Wearables

That is a shame.

My wife has a Galaxy Watch Active2 and the sensor cover separated from the body of the watch the other day.

Unfortunately it is 15 months old so outside warranty.

I have a Galaxy Watch 46mm which I love and I haven't had the same issue yet.

Ironically my wife is meticulous with hers, it never endures any stress or moisture and she takes good care of it.

I on the other hand wear mine everywhere including the gym and I even play squash and badminton with it on.

With regards to the Active2 the loose back hasn't caused any function issues yet but I have sought advice from Samsung and might have to "bite the bullet" and pay for a repair unless I can find a sensible DIY soliton.

Regards

Letter from Samsung:

Hi,
Thank you for being a Samsung Mobile customer and sending your
Galaxy Watch in to us.
We have fully tested your device and have concluded that there are no
manufacturing defects with your Galaxy Watch. The reason for a heart
rate sensor cover detaching typically falls outside what is covered for a
free repair within the Terms & Conditions* of our warranty. We find that
the heart rate sensor cover can become detached due to an excessive
build-up of hand creams, moisturisers, lotions or hand washing products.
These products often contain ingredients that can have a negative effect
on the sensor cover if exposed to them frequently.
However, as you are a loyal Samsung Mobile customer, we have covered
the cost (on this first occasion only) as a gesture of goodwill.
Our advice on how to care of your Galaxy Watch is to always remove the
watch from your hand before using any of the above hand washing/
moisturising products and wait until your skin is dry before wearing your
watch again. Your watch should be cleaned with freshwater and a soft
cloth; under no circumstances should the watch be exposed to soap, salt
water or other chemical products.
If you have any questions, please contact us on 0333 000 0333 or visit
our support website on: www.samsung.com/uk/support.
From,
Your Samsung Experts

I am not sure if this helps anyone?

Kind Regards.

0 Likes
Regnarts
Pathfinder
Options
Hello Algie42,

I am actually pleased for you that you were able to get Samsung to repair the watch under warranty.
I cannot help though but feel rather cheated and let down that I did not get the same response, and more so that my complaint seemed to fall on deaf ears.
I did not even get a comment from Samsung, or anyone here until your initial complaint about your own experience.

I have been a Samsung fan for nearly two decades now and this is the first time I have had an issue with a Samsung product. The zero support when called for is simply disappointing.

I suppose your perseverance probably had something to do with it, but I believe that one should not have to go to such a protracted process to get what is already part of an agreement.

I have since adopted the attitude that once I have purchased certain items, I am on my own should it fail.

Some manufacturers are quick to give the promised support, while others seem reluctant to do anything about genuine cases.
0 Likes
Algie42
Explorer
Options

Good morning.

I feel the need to clarify one point.

Samsung did make the suggestion that they might offer to cover the cost as a "gesture of goodwill" but, alas my quest was to get them to admit a fundamental design flaw with the watches they manufacture.

My wife's watch was never actually repaired and my wife has been happily wearing a new smart watch for the past 6 months, not manufactured by Samsung.

Anyone reading the letter I have copied must appreciate that Samsung were merely trying to avoid admission of responsibility by suggesting that they had resolved our problems, they definitely had not!

Apologies for any confusion.

Regards.

Regnarts
Pathfinder
Options
Hello,

Thank you @Algie42 for the clarification as I obviously misconstrued your post.

The wording of the impression of "goodwill gesture" got me to assume that your persistence had borne fruit.

It would indeed appear that Samsung is simply refusing to openly accept responsibility for the design flaw and the consequent failures.
Regards.
0 Likes
Members_az6OfTJ
Student
Options

I had exactly the same issue with the watch and it happened twice within 2 years. The second time Sammy told me that they repaired it under goodwill however I had been abusing the watch by using creams on my arm.

The only cream I used was sunblock however the watch is designed as an activity watch, I am 73 and only using it for its HRM function. I have spoken to Customer Services however they are worse than useless as you come up against a brick wall of the concept that "Samsung produce brilliant devices and there can be nothing wrong with them so it must be your fault" It's called loss of face and it would appear to be deeply embedded within the corporate culture of the company.

I will not give up and am currently writing customer reviews wherever I see the watch on sale.

Algie42
Explorer
Options

The more I read from the posts of fellow sufferers, the more I realise that Samsung are not producing the "cutting edge" gadgets that they claim?

They have to realise that there is always a trade off between the profit and loss account "bottom line" and the credibility of the Company and it's products. As a retired accountant I never thought that I would say that, but it's a fact.

I will continue to watch this thread with interest.

Good luck.

0 Likes