Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy watch disconnecting and draining battery

(Topic created on: 19-08-2020 01:39 PM)
AGC06
Student
Options

I have a 42mm galaxy watch and an S10. Everything has been fine for 8 months, now all of a sudden the watch keeps disconnecting and the battery drains to 0% after 8 hours.

Has anyone had this problem because its starting to really annoy me and thinking I should switch back to apple.

15 REPLIES 15
beall_endall
Student
Options

Having the same general problem as others here (46mm).  The problem first presents when I get a notification on my phone (OnePlus 6T) that my watch has disconnected from the phone despite being in close proximity.  When that occurs I check my watch and then observe the battery level drop from the last reported value when the watch face refreshes.

If I catch it quickly enough I typically lose around 10%.  If not noticed I can lose anywhere from 30% plus.  From that point on it will continue to drain and refuses to connect to the phone. The only way I have been able to resolve is restart the watch.

I have had no firmware updates since I purchased last December.  Time wise, the common thread appears to be August 2020.  This is when I first noticed it happening.

I has this watched tweaked such that I can get 4.5 days under normal cases.  If this problem pops up and I don't notice,  considerably less.  It usually happens at least once per charge cycle.

Nittany-Lions
Apprentice
Options

Same for me. I remember an update in August and since then my 46mm has been nearly unusable. My guess is that Samsung wants us to upgrade to the Watch3! $$$

beall_endall
Student
Options

An update to the Watch or to the App on the phone?  I have had one firmware update since purchase and that was in December 2019 after unboxing.  A variety of watch apps have been updated on a regular basis but not the watch itself.  The Wearable App on the phone was last updated on August 24th.

0 Likes
Nittany-Lions
Apprentice
Options

August 7 was the last watch update I did. Same as you, I've been keeping up to date with all apps. If it continues I will likely backup everything and do a restart to wipe it clean and start over. Good luck with your watch!

0 Likes
Scott26
Student
Options

I too have the same problem as  above. I have a Galaxy Gear S3 frontier, that used to last 1-2 days between charges. I have had it paired in the past to an S9 with no problems, then switched to a Huawei p30 pro for the past year. And it is only been the last few weeks that this problem has occurred.

I have tried disabling wifi, and other things and that doesn't fix it. 

CURRENT WORKAROUND: What I have found does work is disabling notifications from within the Gear app. When I re-enable the notifications, every couple of days, the watch will drain a 100% battery within about 4 hours. And when I look at the Gear app it shows it is disconnected. Now what is very strange is that the watch still says "connected by bluetooth", and even looking at the Bluetooth settings on my phone, it says connected to watch "For calls". So there is a connection, but obviously not a complete one.

Now this workaround is pretty awful, because without notifications, the watch is barely a smart watch. It also means I am constantly checking my watch's battery throughout the day to make sure it is connected properly (by opening up the Gear app) so my watch doesn't die on me.

As a side note, I am aware of the P30 and how it manages applications (it is very good on battery because it tends to automatically close applications to preserve battery). I have already disabled the auto-closing feature on the phone, so it is not that. Also, the watch has worked flawlessly for a year. This is something new. I am not sure if there was a Gear saftware update (I dont remember a watch firmware update recently), because most of my apps auto update. I don't know how to look back and see when the app was updated on the phone either.

0 Likes
Nittany-Lions
Apprentice
Options

Did a factory reset, updated the watch to the latest but the apps and everything is working fine. No disconnects, NFC works fine. The older versions of the apps work fine so I'm not updating anymore. No reason to fix something that isn't broken!

0 Likes