Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch - Disable pin lock

(Topic created on: 14-11-2019 04:43 PM)
Joe4518
First Poster
Options

I have just bought a 42mm Galaxy Watch and all was fine with setup but suddenly it started asking for a pin lock every time I want to use the watch. Tried to disable but the option in the settings is greyed out. Also tried to disable my email accounts that may have caused it. Nothing is working and about to send it back. Anyone have any suggestions?

22 REPLIES 22
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi

Try a soft reboot by turning the watch Off and On. 

If no joy then......

Are you able to back it up and factory reset it as a last resort. 

A Samsung Experience Store or Samsung Service Centre can take a look too. 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

StefanCenusa
Apprentice
Options

Hi, seems nobody answered. If you have an exchange account or any other that enforces the security policies on your mobile device that is connected to your phone, these policies will also be passports to your watch.

So, if you are using your work account with the email app, and your work account has security policies then your watch will require a PIN.

The main reason this is happening is because you cannot remove the email app from the watch

kmb2
Student
Options
Does that mean that there is no way to turn the pin off - even if the work email has been removed from the watch?
StefanCenusa
Apprentice
Options
If the work email has been removed from the device then the watch should be back to normal, but you will need to remove the security setting.
Elevenz
Apprentice
Options

. .. and how can I remove security setting?

Or better..  where can I found the hateful PIN? 

0 Likes
SilverCrest
Student
Options

OMG!!  StefanCenusa, thank you, thank you, thank you!! This was exactly my problem as well. Just got a new Galaxy Active 2 about a month ago, and the lock drives me nuts. I was constantly having to enter in the code to see anything on my watch. So I deleted my work email from my phone, and immediately I the grayed-out 'remove the PIN lock' option was selectable. Thanks!!

StefanCenusa
Apprentice
Options

@SilverCrest wrote:

OMG!!  StefanCenusa, thank you, thank you, thank you!! This was exactly my problem as well. Just got a new Galaxy Active 2 about a month ago, and the lock drives me nuts. I was constantly having to enter in the code to see anything on my watch. So I deleted my work email from my phone, and immediately I the grayed-out 'remove the PIN lock' option was selectable. Thanks!!

BTW, if you still want to use your work email in the phone you could try using Nine as an email app. It applies the security policies at application level instead of phone level and is quite a decent app. You can also try Outlook which is good but at least for me it was not sending notifications to my watch, no issues on my phone though.

SilverCrest
Student
Options
That's good advice, thank you. I will definitely check out Nine 🙂
0 Likes
guest442
First Poster
Options

This worked for me. I installed the Nine app on my phone and then had to reset my watch (Active2) which un-grayed the "Use for Screen and payments" option and allowed me to select "Payments only". Nine seems like a pretty good app, just kind of annoying you have to pay $15 for the license after the 2-week trial period. Maybe there are alternative apps out there one can find without the same cost, but for now this was an acceptable workaround for me and at least the app is portable. I haven't yet figured out if there's a way for Nine to send notifications to my watch, but I get so much ***** email that I could care less and would probably actually prefer not to have my watch buzzing all the time with email notifications.

0 Likes