Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch and fitness tracking

(Topic created on: 02-01-2019 08:54 PM)
Theo9799
Apprentice
Options

Are Samsung actually addressing the serious issues with the Galaxy Watch ?

I currently have a Galaxy Watch, my second in a month. Both have had the same problems, which make the watch almost useless as a fitness tracker.

I had the Gear Sport (2 of those also due to faults) and I thought the HR tracking was poor in that compared to my previous Fitbit Blaze, however the Galaxy watch is far worse. The Sport would occasionally go mad and record HR well over 120 when sitting relaxing but it would at least give a reasonably accurate reading when exercising. The Galaxy watch is all over the place when at rest and fails to read HR reliably when exercising, a lot of the time it just flat lines.

The sleep tracking is also unreliable, some nights it works sometimes not.

The barometer/altimeter is useless, hence my floor count is ridiculous. I climbed 10 floors while I was asleep last night! With the Gear Sport and Fitbit it was always a case of undercounting floors, with the Galaxy Watch I currently have 62 floors today. I have already changed one Galaxy watch due to a suspected faulty sensor giving the same type of readings, both have started off ok but have gone wrong after a couple of weeks. I have deleted the altimeter/barometer app and re-installed as it is all over the place. If I move the watch by inches it will record an increase or decrease of altitude of 10's or 100's of meters, the pressure will also jump all over the place.

I have re-set the watch a number of times and nothing has improved, I have used every trick suggested in this and the American forum and nothing has worked.

As both of the Galaxy watches I have tried have had the same issues I would suspect (or hope) that it is software related. The smartwatch functions and the look of the watch are great but the primary reason I want the watch is for fitness tracking, if that was sorted out it would be almost perfect.

I am at the point of taking the watch back as not fit for purpose and going over to Garmin, I just keep hoping that there will be some news about what is happening or a software update to fix the issues. I don't want to hand it back as I prefer the look, size and usability of the Samsung but at the moment for me it is no good.

Model no. SM-R800

Software: R800XXU1BRK3

5 REPLIES 5
kdwzoso
Apprentice
Options

Same here. I'm having trouble with it accurately recording calories burned when exercising. It's recording 1/3 of calories compared to a chest strap. I read that it doesn't calculate calories by heart rate, just time and whatever stats are in your profile. Still, it looks nice.

cwbypete
First Poster
Options

Same. I'm just back from a 90 minute Muay Thai session and may as well have not tracked it with just 20 minutes recorded. So much for the reviews pushing this as a fitness device.

Reading these forums  I'm not convinced Samsung are interested so this'll be going straight back to ee. 

stu1892
First Poster
Options

Is this going to be fixed at all?

Wearing my watch on a quiet day gives me the same calorie burn as my fitbit did sat on my bedside charging all day.  It is absolutely nowhere near my TTDE and I'd say the workouts are about 30% off too.

0 Likes
Rui_Pedro
Explorer
Options

Same here! 😞 I go down a floor and it counts 5 floors up and all the other issues you describe plus some more!

0 Likes
EnricoC1
Apprentice
Options

@cwbypete wrote:

Same. I'm just back from a 90 minute Muay Thai session and may as well have not tracked it with just 20 minutes recorded. So much for the reviews pushing this as a fitness device.

Reading these forums  I'm not convinced Samsung are interested so this'll be going straight back to ee. 

I solved it by setup the HR monitor from 10 minutes to manual

0 Likes