Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy watch & Gear S3 rapid battery drain after latest update.

(Topic created on: 20-01-2021 01:02 PM)
smokeringhalo
Apprentice
Options

Since the latest update, I've had my Gear S3 watch completely drain unexpectedly. I didn't think much of it until my wife started complaining that her galaxy watch had also drained overnight and was having difficulty charging back up.  I then realized that we both had a recent update to our wearables software. So I took my gear from it's charger at 100% and was down to only 59% charge in just an hour! This is unacceptable.

I remember back when the wearables had poor battery life and was eventually fixed, but it seems that the latest update made it even worse than the original battery life which I never thought would be possible. The watches were running great before, and now they die within hours. What was the purpose of this update anyway? I'm not seeing a single change or benefit from it. It has only ruined our wearables. I don't want to factory reset just to end up in the same place.

Samsung needs to fix this a.s.a.p.!

59 REPLIES 59
CliffBry
Apprentice
Options

I have this problem also. My watch has been fine battery life wise until yesterday. Now I can watch (no pun intended) the battery percentage decrease. Totally unacceptable assuming it is a firmware upgrade that has caused it. Samsung, please assist as mahny customers are reporting this issue.

Long-Time_Fan
Student
Options

Cliff, I sure hope Samsung puts out another firmware upgrade to correct this battery issue. Unfortunately, they've lost me as a customer until they get a firmware upgrade issued that will make the battery last 23 days. That's how many days my Garmin Fenix battery lasts between charges. I've had the Fenix since before Thanksgiving and I've charged it twice (11/13/2020 to 1/3/2021).

MontanaGlen
Student
Options

Last week my S3 Frontier did this software update, and now the battery plummets from 100% to 10% in less than 8 hours.  The "trusted advisors" indicated that a factory reset would fix the problem.   So, this morning  I backed it up w/ Samsung, crossed my fingers and did the reset.

Didn't help at all!  I  then spent several hours trying to get all my apps reinstalled (Samsung Backup DOESN'T backup all of your apps, BTW).

I'm STILL getting 8 or nine hours now before my S3 Frontier finally dies.

Also, recently, the Home button stopped working, and the reinstall did not fix the problem.  (This is also  a reported problem, and -you guessed it- Reset is the commonly suggested "solution."  So much for so-called experts and their shot-in-the-dark "knowledgeable" solutions. Today I discovered a workaround.: if I press BOTH buttons together, rather than just the Home button, all the Home button functions WORK!  That tells me that the problem is NOT hardware, but resides, somehow, in software. 

So, I'm frustrated -and angry- at Samsung for not fixing this KNOWN battery drain update: most of you got this update late last summer (2020), and were reporting it.  Mine (same software version #s) was installed during the 2nd week of January, '21.  Go figure the late date.  The reinstall, done  today, didn't change the button issue, OR THE EXTREME BATTERY DRAIN.  After the many intervening months, SAMSUNG HAS DONE -NOTHING- TO FIX THE BATTERY DRAIN or the often-reported Home button issues.  They have, apparently, assumed that the latter issue is caused by bad physical contacts. If it, in fact, NOW works only in concert with the Back button, yielding the usual Home key functions, then the problem is software.  Another broken software issue, Samsung!  Don't just keep churning out new models -and DON'T BREAK THE OTHERWISE FUNCTIONING OLDER ONES! I'm not going to buy a replacement $300+ watch, because YOU, not I, broke my current expensive watch that was working just fine, before you foisted this update on me.

FIX IT!!!

CliffBry
Apprentice
Options

Hi, I just ordered and fitted a replacement battery - my watch is over 4 years old now. I'm still watching the battery discharge 😞 This is definitely a software issue and one that they should either fix or allow a user to revert to a previous version. My watch (and my wife's watch) have been stable battery drain wise for years with the odd blip. Like you I am getting fed up with it and a new watch (from a new manufacturer) is beckoning unless they get their fingers out. As someone who worked as an engineer with hardware, software and the Internet all my working life (I retired a few years ago) this situation is utterly unacceptable. My company would never have rolled out an update that caused this much grief to customers.

Samsung please listen to us and if necessary roll back the firmware, we all rely on our smart watches these days and you are doing yourselves a huge disservice.

makis780
Explorer
Options

Samsung do you hear our voices or not?

🤔🤔

makis780
Explorer
Options

It finally stopped opening by pressing both buttons on the watch. Only when I put it in the charger and simultaneously press both buttons then and only then does the watch open. The battery lasts about 8 hours (the battery is new) !!! Samsung developers can not solve these problems?

0 Likes
Monty
First Poster
Options

Please Samsung fix this issue. This is not right. My battery used to last upto 4days!!! Now I barely get to the end of the day before I need to recharge.

0 Likes
makis780
Explorer
Options

There are two problems with the watch. 1st: the battery that discharges within 8 hours and 2nd: the home button that does not work on the watch !!!
Please the big company Samsung to find the solution that is a matter of software !!!
Thank you very much !!

0 Likes
TRENDY
Apprentice
Options

Are there any customers suffering from this issue from Israel? I would like to organize a class action lawsuit against Samsung for this matter. I've paid hundreds of dollars on a worthless piece of *****, then spend dozens more on a replacement battery (since that is what the lab recommended) and still the watch doesn't hold for more than a day.  If any users want to get in touch to organize a lawsuit, please PM. Sadly, seems that our only course here is legal action and to make sure others don't make the mistake of buying Samsung. I won't buy their phones and other devices too if that's how they treat their customers.   

0 Likes
makis780
Explorer
Options

To participate in the education from Greece? Glad to outsource to a lawyer. Gentlemen are unacceptable. Too bad I bought a Samsung galaxy s10e after many years at Sony !!!

0 Likes