Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy watch & Gear S3 rapid battery drain after latest update.

(Topic created on: 08-10-2020 06:33 PM)
smokeringhalo
Apprentice
Options

Since the latest update, I've had my Gear S3 watch completely drain unexpectedly. I didn't think much of it until my wife started complaining that her galaxy watch had also drained overnight and was having difficulty charging back up.  I then realized that we both had a recent update to our wearables software. So I took my gear from it's charger at 100% and was down to only 59% charge in just an hour! This is unacceptable.

I remember back when the wearables had poor battery life and was eventually fixed, but it seems that the latest update made it even worse than the original battery life which I never thought would be possible. The watches were running great before, and now they die within hours. What was the purpose of this update anyway? I'm not seeing a single change or benefit from it. It has only ruined our wearables. I don't want to factory reset just to end up in the same place.

Samsung needs to fix this a.s.a.p.!

59 REPLIES 59
Ldglance
Student
Options

just to let you factory reset the watch this week and then restored everything from backup and it fixed the issue.

Ryoojin83
First Poster
Options

Trey_B
First Poster
Options

Wondering, how many people bitching about the same issue will it take before they notice us?

0 Likes
PBornius
First Poster
Options

Can anyone confirm that the solution is to factory reset?

0 Likes
ARM66
First Poster
Options

A reset did not work for me. Same issue. Drains 30% in about 4 hours. It won't even last the day and before I could get 3 days of use. Not impressed Samsung!

Jay431
First Poster
Options

I reset mine a few weeks ago, seemed to be working fine and now it is suddenly back to watch draining again, not sure if it auto updated something or not, but not getting 12 hrs out of a charge isn't good, seeing as I am a paramedic and need my watch. Looks like going back to good old g-shock for work.

watchman
First Poster
Options

Me too!

My issues started about 2 weeks ago. It drains both my watch AND phone. I did a factory reset and that helped for a few days/week and then it came back with a vengeance. I've reset my watch, deleted the app on my phone several times with no improvement. The battery info on the app is showing the music app is burning the battery on the watch, and the samsung com plugin on the phone. There is a parallel thread for the Galaxy 2 Active and they are experiencing the same thing.

I followed the suggestions some of those had, but if it helped, it wasn't much. Still both devices dead by noon after 100% at 7am.

My android version is 11 and I have a Pixel 2xl.

Please add your voice to this thread. Maybe they will listen. Hopefully they are already working on it. Seems so widespread that their developers should be having the same issue too.

Please help Samsung! Your tech support was worthless... my only remedy was to send it in for $117. No over the phone troubleshooting. Why would I pay to fix a problem that is obviously not a failure of the device itself when so many people are experiencing the same at nearly the same time?

KayLynn
First Poster
Options

I'm having the same issue. I look at my battery usage and Samsung Health is using 34% of my battery usage! I do a force stop on it and still doesn't work. This is sooo frustrating. I've had 3 samsung watches now and they all have had this same issue but I love Samsung. Just get to fixing it!

karl8704
Student
Options

My Gear S3 Classic displays all kinds of battery percentages. 5 days ago I simply left it turned on to purposely drain the battery. I then tried to turn it back on, and it was certainly dead. Then I put it on the cradle, and it reported 85%! I took it off the cradle and tried to boot it - no dice. I put it back on the cradle and it then displayed 79%. I left it on the cradle for about 10 minutes, then checked it again - 90%. I turned it back on again, backed up my data, then did a factory reset. It's still reporting 79% charged, but I don't believe it. I'm going to leave it on the cradle for 3-4 hours this time, then do another factory reset, restore my data, and then see how long the battery lasts (and what it displays when it's encradled). More later...

0 Likes
karl8704
Student
Options

Day 2: After charging the watch and restoring data, I changed the Power settings to "optimize," something I hadn't noticed before. I left it at about 75% charge (or so it said).

Day 3: 8 hours later, the battery said 73% remaining. I thought that losing only 2% overnight was nothing short of miraculous. Did chores, then went on a 5-mile walk to the store and back, and it was down to 40% after about 16 hours - still not bad, considering my experience with it. I then went into Settings-Reset and re-set the watch. when I turned it back on, the watch said "battery is low." I rebooted it, put it on the charger, and the charger displayed "59% charged." WTH???

I think I'm going to shelve this watch for now and buy a Garmin Fenix 6 instead. Hopefully Samsung comes out with yet another software update someday that addresses this power display issue. In the meantime, I'm heading over to the Garmin lines. Seeya Samsung.

0 Likes