Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch Active Sleep Tracking

(Topic created on: 11-03-2019 11:35 AM)
T5iJenn
Student
Options

I've had the Watch Active for 3 days now (previously a Fitbit owner).  I've had sleep tracking on my previous Fitbits, and either the Fitbit or the Watch Active is wildly inaccurate. I was averaging about an hour and a half of deep sleep per night on my Fitbit and my Galaxy Watch Active says zero percent deep sleep.  🤔  Also, for the past two nights, it has two sleep records each night, saying that I was not sleeping (not 'awake', but not even in bed) for about an hour or so.  I was in bed all night so..... the first night I thought it might have to do with DST, but it did it again last night.  Is this what I should expect?

84 REPLIES 84
PeteH68
Journeyman
Options

Just got a Samsung Galaxy Watch Active and so far (5 days in) my impression of the sleep tracking is a bit hit and miss.

Hit = Goodnight Mode is set on auto and does actually work reasonably well based on my routine (I do go to bed at a fairly regular time). My watch also records my sleep (which is apparently better than some people's experience on here!)

Miss = bit dubious about the sleep stages due to the alarmingly low amount of deep sleep recorded. It's even prompted me to investigate how much deep sleep a person of my age (50+) should get a night.

After reading this thread I downloaded "Sleep as Android", and sync'd it with my Samsung Health app/data. Then I looked at the stats again and the amount of deep sleep is reported as being much higher now (and far closer to the "normal/average" amount of deep sleep I should be getting).

I do wear my watch reasonably tight too, so I don't think it's anything to do with recording HR. As some have said, it must just be the internal algorithms interpreting the data available.

CouliePJ
Explorer
Options

Thank you - same here, very dubious about the Deep Sleep!  Can't find the app you mention.  Is that the correct name?

Paul

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

OP - do you mean the app called 'Sleep as Android'?

PeteH68
Journeyman
Options
@CouliePJ and @blenky, just edited my response to correct myself. Apologies. Yes, the app is called "Sleep as Android". I just searched for "sleep" in the Google Play Store and it was about the 4th one listed, and uses the Android "bot" in it's logo. Actually getting the Samsung Health data sync'd was a more cumbersome task. I'd give instructions if I was certain how it worked, but it was probably a combination of fiddling with various settings, and just giving it some time. But it does seem to be more accurate :smiling-face:
0 Likes
CouliePJ
Explorer
Options

Yes, that's the one, cant find it.🥺

0 Likes
PeteH68
Journeyman
Options
0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@PeteH68 don't you have to have your phone next to your head in bed to use this app?  

0 Likes
PeteH68
Journeyman
Options

@blenky, only if you wish to use the app to record your sleep. However, you can still use your watch to record your sleep, but then if you grant permissions (or enable a setting), you can grant the "Sleep as Android" app access to your Samsung Health data (sleep data). Then you can use the app to calculate your sleep stages as it appears to do a better job than Samsung's own algorithms in the Samsung Health app.

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

Thanks @PeteH68 - done that.  Will see how it performs tonight

0 Likes
rileyca17
First Poster
Options

It stops tracking when you wake up completely. How tf would it know if you were in bed, if you're watching tv in your bed for an hour you are not sleeping for an hour. It then gives you 2 sleep records because you fell asleep, woke up, then fell asleep again. Add them up, do the math, Samsung is more accurate than FitBit. You made it obvious with your post. 

0 Likes