Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch Active Sleep Tracking

(Topic created on: 13-03-2020 09:10 AM)
T5iJenn
Student
Options

I've had the Watch Active for 3 days now (previously a Fitbit owner).  I've had sleep tracking on my previous Fitbits, and either the Fitbit or the Watch Active is wildly inaccurate. I was averaging about an hour and a half of deep sleep per night on my Fitbit and my Galaxy Watch Active says zero percent deep sleep.  🤔  Also, for the past two nights, it has two sleep records each night, saying that I was not sleeping (not 'awake', but not even in bed) for about an hour or so.  I was in bed all night so..... the first night I thought it might have to do with DST, but it did it again last night.  Is this what I should expect?

84 REPLIES 84
Aroryborealis
Student
Options
Cant agree more. I am rather disapointed in the overall watch compared to my $60 Amazfit... Honestly this doesnt do anything more and costs far more... I need to charge it every other day. I expected a big jump and besides the nicer screen and better look to it, it hasnt done anything for me that my bip didnt do for upwards of 50 days at a time.
0 Likes
Epwhamilton
First Poster
Options

Just to through my two pence in here, it was the sleep tracking that made me return the original watch within the returns period. It sounds like nothing has changed as far as Samsung go. By contrast, I have been using the huawei watch since switching brands, and apart from lacking a few features, seems to remain leagues ahead in terms of accuracy. Its frustrating, as I'd actually like to switch back! 

0 Likes
PeteH68
Journeyman
Options

@RossIsMyName wrote:

@PeteH68 I saw your post and downloaded the app, it said I had to download the watch companion app to use a it as a wearable though, the watch companion app only has 2 stars 😞

The reviews are all saying it uses about 50% of your watch battery per night's sleep.

Have you set it to only use Samsung Health, and not use the companion app?  Is this reliable enough, or are you sacrificing that amount of battery and connecting directly to your watch?

@RossIsMyName I'm not entirely sure about that ... I did quite a bit of fiddling with various settings before settling on something that worked for me. I'm not sure I recall downloading any additional apps. I think I just downloaded Sleep for Android, and I may have set the "Use wearables" option to "Samsung Gear / Galaxy Watch", and then under "Services", I checked the option for "Samsung Health" (you may have to allow some permissions for the sharing of data between the two apps, but that's about as much I recall was needed).

I don't use my phone at all to record sleep but not because of the battery drain, but because I charge my phone wirelessly overnight, so having to place the phone "in/on my bed close to my head" was not really an option unless it was plugged in and charging by cable.  So the way I believe it works is that my watch records my "sleep" (I say "sleep" because I'm not entirely sure how it works - heart-rate? movement?). This data is saved by my Samsung Wearables app and is used by Samsung Health app to give the (totally inaccurate) measure of deep sleep (and other stages of sleep). I then share this data with "Sleep for Android" app whose algorithm for calculating deep sleep (and other stages of sleep) is much more accurate, and so I get a better measurement of sleep stages through that app.

I ignore sleep measurements in the Samsung Health app.

0 Likes
Lunatricx
First Poster
Options

Hi, I just bought my Galaxy Watch Active 2 and have had issues as well with sleep tracking. I have an overlap issue and not sure if Samsung Health is trying to gather data from my phone or watch. I charge my phone wireless over night. My Fitbit Charge 3 never had this problem. I can't seem to find any good information for the overlapping issues. Does anyone have some insight on what I need to do to correct this?

Screenshot_20201228-215707_Samsung Health.jpg

0 Likes
WllmZ
Journeyman
Options

What seemed to work for me was: when i woke up i went to "sleep" on the watch and then it would sync with your phone, after that you can check on your phone the details of last night's sleep, aswell as on your watch. If you go to your phone directly before checking in on your watch, you only get an estimate about when you slept. It's not really inuitive but it should work that way. Cheers.

0 Likes