Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch Active Sleep Tracking

(Topic created on: 28-01-2020 04:23 PM)
T5iJenn
Student
Options

I've had the Watch Active for 3 days now (previously a Fitbit owner).  I've had sleep tracking on my previous Fitbits, and either the Fitbit or the Watch Active is wildly inaccurate. I was averaging about an hour and a half of deep sleep per night on my Fitbit and my Galaxy Watch Active says zero percent deep sleep.  🤔  Also, for the past two nights, it has two sleep records each night, saying that I was not sleeping (not 'awake', but not even in bed) for about an hour or so.  I was in bed all night so..... the first night I thought it might have to do with DST, but it did it again last night.  Is this what I should expect?

84 REPLIES 84
Blackops79
First Poster
Options

I have had excellent tracking with this sleep app...I would suggest making sure you are on latest firmware, and make sure rem and permissions is allowed. This is for the 46 mm galaxy watch.

0 Likes
Johol
First Poster
Options
I can also verify that the watch perform a LOT better after the latest update. As I wrote before I was very disappointed with both the tracking and battery performance, but for the last month (or so) my watch has performed very well. So make sure you have the latest firmware installed.
0 Likes
RossIsMyName
First Poster
Options

@PeteH68 I saw your post and downloaded the app, it said I had to download the watch companion app to use a it as a wearable though, the watch companion app only has 2 stars 😞

The reviews are all saying it uses about 50% of your watch battery per night's sleep.

Have you set it to only use Samsung Health, and not use the companion app?  Is this reliable enough, or are you sacrificing that amount of battery and connecting directly to your watch?

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@RossIsMyName wrote:

@PeteH68 I saw your post and downloaded the app, it said I had to download the watch companion app to use a it as a wearable though, the watch companion app only has 2 stars 😞

The reviews are all saying it uses about 50% of your watch battery per night's sleep.

Have you set it to only use Samsung Health, and not use the companion app?  Is this reliable enough, or are you sacrificing that amount of battery and connecting directly to your watch?

I have stopped using the app as Samsungs sleep tracking has improved.  TBH the only benefit (and I'm sure there is more) I found with the app was that you could record snoring.  But that meant you needed to keep phone by your bed.  Also I was concerned about battery consumption on the watch and phone althoough I never did any in depth check.  I found the same thing with a third party finess app.  Had lots of extras but did not integrate well.  Again fell back to Samsuns own fitness tracking which works fine for my needs.

0 Likes
CouliePJ
Explorer
Options

I must admit I have MASSIVE concerns about this Sleep Tracking. For the last two nights I have NO deep sleep recorded, despite having a good nights sleep. Since I switched from the FitBit (excellent sleep tracking), I have had hardly any deep sleep recorded. Come on Samsung, get it sorted.

RossIsMyName
First Poster
Options

@PeteH68 and @Blenky

I've not had much luck with the sleep tracking with One UI 1.0 on my phone and 1.5 on my watch.  Moved over from a Fitbit and immediately noticed that Samsung's sleep tracking just isn't very accurate.  It doesn't log as much detail, and falsey says I'm sleeping when I'm not.  With Fitbit, if I woke up a few times at night without getting out of bed, FitBit new exactly when I had woken, Samsung thinks I'm sleeping throughout.

I've tried using the Sleep As Android app for a few days now (since my first post above), I haven't linked it to my watch as I can't afford 50% of my battery to drain overnight, so have linked it to Samsung Health instead so it can use its own algorithms.  Still to early to say if the Sleep As Android algorithm is working well, but it seems very much in line with Samsung's results, which is a shame.

You'd expect a company as big as Samsung would be able to keep up with FitBit, but apparently not 😕

0 Likes
Aroryborealis
Student
Options
I just got my active 2 last week and it's telling me I get about 5-10 minutes of deep sleep per night. This is far different from the roughly 1.4 hours my bip was registering. I know the bip may not be great but if I'm really getting so little deep sleep after 8 hrs of sleep then I may have a problem...
0 Likes
GaryBrett
Voyager
Options

I've long since ditched the Samsung offering but I did run it concurrently with a Polar Ignite for 7 days before selling. The Polar was reporting on average 1 hour 30 minutes per night deep sleep, 3 hours 58 light sleep, 1 hour 46 REM and 30 minutes interuptions.

The Galaxy reported 0 minutes deep sleep, I wont bore you with the rest as it was massively out on all above data recordings. 

Not fit for purpose in my humble opinion, if your into health/wellness or a simply activty tracking Id seriously move onto a purpoise built device and keep the Samsung for work/evening events. Its lovely for that :smiling-face: 

0 Likes
CouliePJ
Explorer
Options

Totally agree - my FitBit was the same! Samsung sleep tracker is rubbish!🥺

gmincca
Journeyman
Options

Hi,

Sadly (disappointed) I have to agree the sleep tracking with both Active and Active 2 watches is very poor and unreliable. I'm a long term user of Amazfit devices including my current Verge Lite watch and its sleep tracking, although not as sophisticated (no rem detection), is very reliable and precise. The time for falling asleep and waking are always spot on and it tracks deep and light sleep very well. My point is that I expected a (much) more expensive and sophisticated watch such as Samsung to be even better, but clearly I was wrong. 

I do like the look and comfort of the Active 2 and I eagerly await the eventual upgrade to activate its ECG monitoring capability, but no idea how long I'll be waiting for.  I'll keep the Active 2 for a few more months in hope, but the original Active is on its way to CEX to find a new home.

For interest, why is the battery life of these Samsung watches so dreadful....... 1-2 days ?? come on guys whats going on under the hood to drive such a huge battery drain? That is unbelievably bad. My Amazfit Verge Lite watch is currenty on day 38 since the last charge and still showing 42%!! 

0 Likes