Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch Active 2 - Music app battery drain

(Topic created on: 14-10-2020 11:40 PM)
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

Hi there,

I have a galaxy Watch Active 2 (not LTE) and since the new update my battery life has been terrible. I realised today it is the watch music app that now turns on whenever I have spotify, YouTube or twitch on. I never use the music app as I have spotify downloaded. There is no setting to turn it off so it just drains the battery really quickly. I'd have to turn off bluetooth which defeats the purpose of a smart watch. 

Is there a chance that we can get a disable button on the music app?

46 REPLIES 46
GalAlexi
Explorer
Options

I fixed my issue. I just went to the music app on the watch and changed the source from phone to local (next to the speaker icon).

I never changed this myself, and why the heck it maintains this setting after a watch reboot is anybody's guess.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

I've tried this a few times but the watch detects media on the phone instantly and goes back to battery draining. Might work for others though if it worked for you.

yuchuan
Student
Options

It will ignore it and change back to phone automatically.

0 Likes
whipsMontreal
Journeyman
Options

So,  after another day at work,  the workaround from GalAlexi work.  Taping the phone icon switch to watch icon and no

insane drain after 8 hours.  Starting the day at 100%,  came back to home and I'm at 76%.

I shut off the watch on night while recharging.  Have to repeat the process each day I guess.

Thanks for the tips, very appreciate.

0 Likes
Gailo
First Poster
Options

I have the music battery drain issue. It doesn't look like anyone has a solution. A full charge drains the watch in about 5 hours when I'm inactive, sleeping in bed and not using the music app. I reset the phone yesterday and it was ok for about 12 hours but started draining rapidly again. I've removed Spotify. Disabled everything I can find to disable, but the music app uses 50% of power and the watch is drained in 5 hours.

Joyjoyjoy
First Poster
Options

Do you have an Android 11 phone?  I do, and I had this problem, and found it was the new feature turned on by default on the phone to keep the music player active when the song has ended.

I turned this feature off, and my Active2 battery life went back to normal.

Here's how to turn it off on your phone:

1. Open the Settings app.
  2. Scroll down and tap on Sound.
  3. Tap on Media.
  4. Toggle on Hide player when the media session has ended.

Details: https://www.androidcentral.com/how-use-new-media-controls-android-11

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

Thank you for sharing, this could be a solution for android 11 users. I'm still on 10 at the moment so I won't put this as main solution.

0 Likes
Tipper333
First Poster
Options

Android 11 user - noticed huge battery drain despite trying all the above and other recommendations, reset, removed music apps, optimized battery, watch is "asleep" unless engaged by myself and still no solution.
22:00hrs - watch removed from charger at 100% charge

22:56hrs - 86% charge from sitting at a desk doing no activity 

23:01hrs - 82% charge still sitting at a desk doing no activity

0 Likes
oak2
Apprentice
Options

Yep, same here. I just got an Active 2 and couldn't figure out why it was terrible battery life compared to my original Active 1 watch.  Then I noticed the Music app was taking about 30-35% of the battery life.  It seems to fix the issue if I move the app from bluetooth to speaker(watch) mode, but as others have pointed out it will DEFAULT to phone (battery killer) mode if it's ever rebooted or drained down to 0% before charging.  

I never use the music app on my watch... is there any way to completely disable the app similar to how you can with system apps on an android device?  If not, this app needs an update so it doesn't keep defaulting to bluetooth mode!

0 Likes
Nemesis
First Poster
Options
seems we're all suffering this problem. i just bought an Active 2 for my wife and it is doing this. the toggle music app to local speaker works but as soon as you run google music or amazon music the watch switches itself back. I have a gear s3. my watch doesn't drain like this so seems specific to the active 2. has anyone reported this to Samsung? I will tomorrow.