Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch 5 Pro Battery Drain?

(Topic created on: 30-11-2022 04:35 PM)
RXM
Troubleshooter
Options
Since moving up from the Watch 4 Classic to the Watch 5 Pro I've been quite disappointed with the quite minimal improvement in battery life. I found some curious battery use info within the Galaxy Wearable app but I'll get to that in a minute. I used to consistently get over 2 days with the same settings I'm about to list and with the 5 Pro I'll barely make 3 days (I'm at 32% battery from 1 d 20 hr of usage currently, was fully charged to 100%).  My settings are:

Screen brightness set to what looks like slightly under 25% with Auto Brightness off.
Touch screen to wake only.
AOD off.
Screen timeout 30 seconds.
Location on (improve location accuracy also on)
Connected to phone via bluetooth.
WiFi on (apparently only used when needed)
NFC off.
Averaging 84 notifications a week (12 per day).
Long and Strong vibrations for calls and notifications (not used for calls however)
Volume max.
All gestures off.
Remote connection on but off for calling.
Measure continuous for all health measurements.
Activity levels is currently low to mid. I don't exercise intentionally, but my job is relatively pysical.

Bla bla could go on but I'll get to the point. In my frustration to find the cause I was in the Galaxy Wearables app using Galaxy Watch 5 Manager to check the battery section. There is showed Assistant using 0.8% of battery since last full charge, Samsung Health 0.7%, Display 0.5%, Health Services 0.3%, Google Play Store 0.2% and One UI Watch Home 0.2%. Not much use to me knowing what ate up just 2.7% total battery. 

So I was randomly going through the Apps section (just below Battery) and clicking on individual apps. This also has a section at the top showing % (Battery) used since last fully charged. Going through every app all of them claimed 0% apart from 4. Samsung Pay claiming 24% (never use), Samsung Text-to-speech claiming 24% (never use), Settings claiming 24% and Find My Mobile claiming 23%. Whilst on the matter what is the difference between "Find My Mobile" and "Find My Phone"? They have almost identical icons but Find My Phone has used no battery, I'll attach a photo. I definitely charged my watch to 100% 1 d 20hr ago so these "since fully charged" percentages will have to be in reference to the prior 44hr period surely? So if you add up all the percentages it comes to 97.7% including the 2.7% I calculated from the Battery page. Unless that refers to 97.7% of the 68% of battery life I've used since charging last then it makes little sense. I'm also totally sus at the percentage totals for all 4 being so incredibly similar. Also as stated I never use Samsung Pay or Speech to Text so why would they claim to be so high? Why is this info not displayed in the battery app? So many questions. 

Anyone got any insight to anything I'm referencing? Or anyone got any tips on how to improve the battery without needing to turn off stuff? I'm for sure going to test what happens to battery life with the 2/3 apps I don't use turned off but I'm also curious as to why there are 2 apps which look like they serve the same function for finding My phone/mobile? 

Would anyone be willing to check whether their apps show something similar? I might do a full reset if nothing improves after tinkering with these.

26 REPLIES 26
Ade0410
Explorer
Options
The battery life on my watch 5 Pro is superb and I'm came from a watch 4 classic.
0 Likes
RXM
Troubleshooter
Options
Update. All 4 now showing 26% battery used since last fully charged. Unless I'm really dumb that's 104% 🤞
0 Likes
RXM
Troubleshooter
Options
What sort of battery life are you getting?
0 Likes
robd1
Voyager
Options
Helli @RXM, from your settings I'm assuming you gave a Bluetooth watch not LTE. I have tuned down some of your current settings myself:-
1. Screen timeout to 10 seconds, if your not looking at it or doing something it's wasting battery.
0 Likes
robd1
Voyager
Options
Apologies @RXM, finger trouble.
2. Long and strong vibrations are mutually exclusive really. Short and strong or Long and Light will save you battery.
3. I've moved Heart Rate from Measure continuously to Every 10 mins while still. It still measures.
4. I've moved Stress to Manual only as the results "stressed" me. Every time I moved they
seemed high.
5. I'm assuming Snore detection is off during the day (continuously health measurements statement)
6. Max volume is probably too high unless you work in a very noisy environment.
7. Is Settings>Display> Auto brightness on?

Also have a look at this YoyTube video, it's aimed at Galaxy Watch 4, but most if the settings are the same.
https://youtu.be/4d55zco6tiY
thepres56
First Poster
Options

Mine's even worse. I'm showing 41% battery with 19h 58m left!!!! Same issues, samsung pay showing 30%, text to speech 30% and find my mobile 31% !!! How do i turn these off?

0 Likes
RXM
Troubleshooter
Options
I think from what I can tell those percentages are all related to one another and not each app's individual percentage use. Would be too much of a coincidence if they all used the same amount of battery all the time and also if you also added the % shown as used from 'Settings' then it would be over 100% used which isn't possible. Also I just noticed that they also all use the exact same amount of RAM. What this means I don't know.

I'm experimenting at the minute by force stopping Speech Services, Samsung Pay and Find My Mobile. I never take my watch off apart from charging it so I don't ever imagine I'd lose it, I also double checked that I wasn't turning off the function which rings my mobile when I can't find it as that is one feature that I couldn't live without. I have yet to use my watch to pay for something with Samsung Pay since I almost always have my mobile on hand and I also don't use Speech services.

At this stage it's showing for all 4 that 14% used since the last full charge but I'm sitting at 56% after 1d 14hr of use. Have 1d 15hr estimated left. Might just reset it regardless after a few more experiments.Screenshot_20221130_163044_1000001327_1669825844.jpg
0 Likes
RXM
Troubleshooter
Options
Yeah I have the Bluetooth model that's right.

I've just toggled my screen timeout to 15 seconds and tbf I think that's what my Watch 4 Classic used to be on. Maybe it will make a difference I'll wait and see.

During work I would consistently miss important calls and messages as it is quite noisy so I opted for max volume, long and strong and also the vibration pattern 'Simple' as it seemed the most noticeable to me. Also picked 'Handbell' as the notification option as the noise is higher pitch and comes across as the loudest to me. Now I don't need these too much so I may change them until work is busier. I do wish I could set routines like I can on my phone but for the watch so these settings only apply during work hours without me having to manually change them back and forth all the time.

The main reason for me having a Smartwatch is health monitoring so non negotiable on those. Why would Snore detection use the battery battery during the day? I can't find any info on anything pertaining to that, if you know where I could look more in depth into that I'd appreciate that.

Auto brightness is off as stated.

I wonder if any of the developer settings help in this regard but I'm too scared to mess with anything another than the animation settings. I've already reset the system cache. I'll keep researching what things drain battery and gauge whether I need them or not. Will update if I find anything.
0 Likes
robd1
Voyager
Options
Hello @RXM,
Here's my battery usage since Tuesday afternoon charge. I've deliberately kept usage down just to test it. So biggest usage has been sleep. Screenshot_20221201_114228_Galaxy Watch5 Manager_1000058211_1669894949.jpg
0 Likes