Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch 46mm Not counting steps

(Topic created on: 09-12-2018 06:38 PM)
J8cko
Explorer
Options

Received my galaxy watch on Friday but no matter what I do I cannot get the step counter to work properly, I've tried all the suggested things to fix the problem but nothing works, the step count is so intermittent or dosent work at all. 

If I get up and walk around it counts nothing, jog up the stairs and it starts counting, sit down and get up again and the watch stops counting. 

I've seen alot of posts with people with the same problem and all of them returning there watches, I love the watch and don't really want to return it if it's a software issue that can be fixed.

Anyone else UK having the same issue

568 REPLIES 568
pavlis
Pioneer
Options

"Yes, continuous heart monitoring during workout"
What's the software version on your watch? What sort of workout do you do - intense like Gym group exercise or running for example? Thanks.

0 Likes
Celf
Navigator
Options

R800XXU1BRK3

Walking (every day) between 6 and 7 km an hour. 

0 Likes
pavlis
Pioneer
Options

Thanks. I'm on the previous version. Let's hope it comes out soon in Australia as I'm considering returning my watch.

0 Likes
lusan
Journeyman
Options

They have done something,  but not good enough. I can tell now that my watch records some short walks that it used to miss, but still far from reliable or accurate.

I decided to reset the watch the day before yesterday (Friday) so I could test it yesterday (Saturday).

I compared it with the steps recorded the Saturday before as I had a similar shift  and day in general (14 hours shift and pretty much that was it). My watch showed a 20% less steps yesterday than the Saturday before and I could see that it was still missing a lot of steps. I know that it is not an accurate measure, but it shows a lot.

I also tried to keep my phone on me most of the day and I downloaded a step counter app (Pedometer Step Counter) to count my steps. My phone counted 30% more steps than the watch even though it wasn't on me all the time.

On the other hand, on Thursday, before resetting it, I had to walk around the streets of London for long periods of time and my watch seemed to work properly. It did seem to count the steps accurately.

My first conclusion is that no matter how bad I want this watch to work so I don't feel like I've wasted a lot of money, this watch will never work. It is just not functioning properly by design, I mean, the watch is not faulty, it is working the way Samsung has intended it to work, it is just a poorly executed device.

My second conclusion is that the software is still defficient and it will only give you a reliable figure if you sit down for work and take long walks, but it will not do it properly if you need to do fequent short walks. 

My third conclusion is that it is not hardware related.

My fourth conclusion is that the geniuses at Samsung have designed an algorithm that simply dismisses walks of less that nine or ten steps now, but they still can't figure out a better way to discriminate steps from hand movements accurately. (I know I wouldn't know how to do it myself, but that is why I don't get paid to develop a smartwatch software)

My fifth conclusion is that Samsung is aware of the issue but keeps neglecting it. They have tried to improve it, so they know there is an issue.

My sixth conclusion is that Samsung's customer service is defficient to say the least.

My seventh conclusion is that Samsung's communication policiy is ridiculously inexistent for a consumer goods company of their size. Not only with their customers, but also internally with their customer services and repair centres.

My eighth conclusion is that I will never spend a single penny on a Samsung product ever again. Only the time that I have wasted with this watch would have paid for a Garmin Fenix 5 plus.

@pavlis wrote:

Thanks. I'm on the previous version. Let's hope it comes out soon in Australia as I'm considering returning my watch.

0 Likes
lusan
Journeyman
Options
And I forgot, after the update it still does not track deep sleep... Maybe I don't sleep deeply.
0 Likes
Mikey78
First Poster
Options

Quick update yesterday registered steps really well and think it started counting after around 10 steps which is far better and I actually hit my floors count too, which it didn't do straight away after the update.

Still think Samsung should have communicated better with their consumers. 

0 Likes
Celf
Navigator
Options

@Pavlis

Stepcounter was almost spot on today, HR monitor also. I few month ago I counted 125 - 135 steps manually for 100 meter. Today I walked 7 km. My GW counted 9301 steps. I'm satified with the stepcounter. The caloriecounter is another story. 7 minutes before ending my 1 hour 7 minute walk i checked calorie burn, it was almost 400 calories (almost the same as on my Apple Watch). 7 minutes later I ended my workout and BAMMMMM....837 calories burned!!

Tomorrow i'm walking the same route...but only those last 7 minutes :face-with-tears-of-joy:

0 Likes
lusan
Journeyman
Options

If you take long walks the counter works fine, it always has. The problem still is the short continuous walks, still not counting them accurately.

@Celf wrote:

@pavlis

Stepcounter was almost spot on today, HR monitor also. I few month ago I counted 125 - 135 steps manually for 100 meter. Today I walked 7 km. My GW counted 9301 steps. I'm satified with the stepcounter. The caloriecounter is another story. 7 minutes before ending my 1 hour 7 minute walk i checked calorie burn, it was almost 400 calories (almost the same as on my Apple Watch). 7 minutes later I ended my workout and BAMMMMM....837 calories burned!!

Tomorrow i'm walking the same route...but only those last 7 minutes :face-with-tears-of-joy:

0 Likes
Celf
Navigator
Options

@Lusan

Today was a rainy day, stayed inside all day (apart from my workout). Stepcounter counted almost 1000 steps. Room from one side to the other is appr. 9 meter. All my steps are short walks. 

0 Likes
lusan
Journeyman
Options

Good for you! But still it does not mean a lot. Mine also counts some sort of short walks, I do not know which or how, but it is still inaccurate. You might have taken  1,400 steps, you don't know. 

I've got the feeling it has improved, somehow, but still nowhere near being reliable.

Yesterday mine counted 4,287 steps whereas the phone tracked 5,621 steps, plainly speaking, it missed 1,334 steps. The watch should have counted a 31.12% more than it did, or in other words, it missed a 23.73% of the total steps that I walked. And that is not taking into account that I did not have my phone with me all the time.

I know my phone is not 100% accurate either, but it seemed to record the steps better and, as it was in my pocket, it definitely wasn't counting my hand movement.

You might be happy with that, but I am not, specially for the price I paid.

@Celf wrote:

@lusan

Today was a rainy day, stayed inside all day (apart from my workout). Stepcounter counted almost 1000 steps. Room from one side to the other is appr. 9 meter. All my steps are short walks. 

0 Likes