Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Galaxy Watch 4 screen on during workout

(Topic created on: 07-09-2021 09:54 PM)
Rosagreste
Journeyman
Options

Hi everyone,

Just got the galaxy 4 and I’m enjoying it but I’m struggling to see my progress when running because the screen dims whilst running.

I would like to know if there’s a way to keep the screen light up during a workout using the native workout app.

I have seen on this forum a way of doing this on previous watches, but it’s not possible to find that option on the new 4.

Please note I’m not asking about the always on display, I’m asking about keeping the screen light up and on during the workout without having to tap or turn my wrist.

Thanks so much 

Galaxy Watch4 Classic

Galaxy Watch4 

25 REPLIES 25
Silverfeyn
Student
Options

Exactly, thats the point. It's even a problem to other apps like Gmaps, where a big Digital Clock will just be over the screen unless you do the flick gesture, which sometimes, when you're in a motorcycle or even a bike, could lead to some problems because you need to focus on the watch, as sometimes the flick gesture won't work.

Why I can just have AOD withoud the dimm or the digital clock? I remember having it back in Galaxy Watch 3 until an update came

Jon44
Journeyman
Options

I assume this issue still hasn't been addressed. It'd be great if Samsung could let us know their plans (i.e., was this just an oversight or are they deliberately changing the operations of the watch to force users to save battery power).

This one issue is preventing me from upgrading to the Watch4 (from Active2, which works just fine), and if it isn't addressed, it'll be the last straw after a series of user-unfriendly changes and I'll likely switch all my stuff to Apple.

0 Likes
Jon44
Journeyman
Options

It honestly feels like with every new release, Samsung's "hot new thing" is removing some critical feature that everyone loved.

0 Likes
Rosagreste
Journeyman
Options

Hey Samsung,

I embraced your new Watch at the beginning of September but you haven’t fixed this yet.

I moved on and I’m no longer using the watch.

0 Likes
Motty2012
Pathfinder
Options

You are absolutely right to raise this. There isn't an option to do this. You can on the Tizen models. Samsung need to sort this immediately. I'm going back to my Garmin watch for cycling. Raising my wrist in a strange way to get the display to come on means I end up in the middle of the road sometimes. Crazy and dangerous. 

SwannyEdb
Student
Options

Another one here who's ditched the Galaxy Watch 4 for running. Shame really as the screen is excellent when it's actually on. I've gone back to my old steam-powered Garmin for now and will likely stick with it unless the issue is resolved.

MMC01
First Poster
Options

Recently got the watch 4 classic, I too am having issues with the display.  The display goes from colour to monochrome after a few seconds or when you turn your wrist 90 degrees and there is no way to change this.  I've chat with Samsung, read and watched videos to no avail.  This is frustrating because none of the APPs or phone functions are accessible unless you start with the original display, further the light dims and makes it near impossible to see the display in daylight.  For such a premium watch it's not very intuitive and lacks some basic vital features crucial to it's overall operation.  Think I'll just go back to using my Garmin as well, it's not nearly as feature rich but doesn't have issues.

0 Likes
GalAlexi
Explorer
Options

I'm not sure is this issue for resolved or not... But the Galaxy 5 Pro watch seems to have its issues as well..

Active Watch 2 had an option to keep the screen always on during workouts. I don't see this option in Galaxy Watch 5 at all.

The workaround would be to turn on "always on display" on the quick panel, then turn it off after workout. What a PITA! Active 2 allowed an always on display toggle on a per workout type basis. This is a step backwards!

I also wish I could pause and then delete the current workout (e.g. I selected the wrong exercise and started recording it, or I had to stop for some reason and wanted to start again without a record). I can delete workouts on the app but it's a fiddle.

Samsung are you there? This is BASIC stuff.

Jon44
Journeyman
Options

That's disappointing to hear.

Could you clarify though--is there actually an option to have an "always on display" that keeps the display at full brightness so it doesn't dim or go to sleep mode?

(That itself would be a big improvement over the Watch4)

Rosagreste
Journeyman
Options

Hey Jon44,

the issue remains.

it’s hard to explain that what we want is not “always on display “ as it dims after a while but the way Apple Watch and others work whereby when you run the last thing you want to have to do is shake your watch to make it go from “dimmed always on display “ to full brightness.

It’s such a frustrating oversight.