Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch 4 screen on during workout

(Topic created on: 08-09-2021 06:39 AM)
Rosagreste
Journeyman
Options

Hi everyone,

Just got the galaxy 4 and I’m enjoying it but I’m struggling to see my progress when running because the screen dims whilst running.

I would like to know if there’s a way to keep the screen light up during a workout using the native workout app.

I have seen on this forum a way of doing this on previous watches, but it’s not possible to find that option on the new 4.

Please note I’m not asking about the always on display, I’m asking about keeping the screen light up and on during the workout without having to tap or turn my wrist.

Thanks so much 

Galaxy Watch4 Classic

Galaxy Watch4 

26 REPLIES 26
Wilko71
Journeyman
Options
Hi, you need to turn on always on display from the quick panel to keep the sreen on during a workout.
0 Likes
Rosagreste
Journeyman
Options

Hey Wilko71,

Thanks for your reply.

This is not a solution.

even if you keep the always on display the screen eventually will dim.

in direct sunlight it’s impossible to see

0 Likes
Wilko71
Journeyman
Options
Ah, ok
0 Likes
RegP
Navigator
Options
U dont have auto brightness on?
0 Likes
Rosagreste
Journeyman
Options

if you have a galaxy watch 4 and use the workout app the screen will dim after a set period. It doesn’t matter what brightness you set on the screen, whether it’s full brightness or auto brightness. Once the screen dims, it goes into always-on brightness, which is the minimum brightness to save battery. 

Is there anybody that has Galaxy Watch 4 and has been able to keep the screen on with full brightness for a whole workout?

Rosagreste
Journeyman
Options

There's something else that makes matters worse.

I'm trying to get a workout without having to touch the screen of the galaxy watch 4 as the screen gets smudges and fingerprints very easily specially when sweating.  That means with the dimmed screen and the smudges it just not possible to see how am I doing.

This is possible with the Apple Watch, and for what I've seen, with previous versions of Galaxy watch. 

Again, I'm asking to keep the screen at full brightness and fixed on the workout app whilst doing a workout. 

Techmizer
First Poster
Options

The Galaxy Watch 3 had an option in the workout settings to force the display to be fully on during a workout, but I haven't been able to find it, either, on my Galaxy Watch 4. 

It's definitely a needed feature, as when I exercise, I'm already maxed out trying to push myself, and I don't want to fool with trying to bring my display back to life.  I need to see my HR constantly. 

I suspect this is due to the switch from the Tizen OS to Google's Wear OS 3.  I imagine it will become an option during a future update, but for now, suffice it to say I feel your pain!

Silverfeyn
Student
Options

They need to bring back the option for full Always On Display during Workouts, if you even use another app like Strava, when you have always on display, it will dimm off the screen, so even if you need to press a button, it won't respond the first time since the screen it's dimmed.

The same happens with Samsung Healts, if I want to tap twice the screen while doing running intervals, it won't work with AOD  since the screen it's dimmed.

0 Likes
arey667
Student
Options

I recently upgraded to the Watch 4 to get more health stats while working out.  I couldn't believe this 'always on' screen feature was removed.  I thought I just couldn't find the setting until I read this forum.  I really need this feature because the touch screen is useless while sweating.  I would like to understand why if Samsung is competing with the top workout health devices like Garmin, they would deem it necessary to remove such an important feature?  Any idea when this feature will be added back ?