Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy watch 4 running splits/laps

(Topic created on: 21-02-2022 04:23 AM)
Marco1293
Apprentice
Options

Does anyone know if there is a way distance/time will reset when you start a new lap while running with the Samsung Health App on the Galaxy Watch4?

At the moment you double click the screen (which is a pain in itself while running) to start a new lap, however it keeps the total distance and time rolling so you're left guessing how far and how long each split/lap has gone for.

It was pretty easy on the Galaxy Watch Active 2 to do this.

#galaxywatch4 #splits #laps #running #samsunghealth

8 REPLIES 8
bullseyecro
Student
Options

Latest update has intervals in settings, and every lap starts from 00:00 time / distance.

To set up intervals ,go to running (on your watch) select settings ( little gear icon on top) , then select target and on bottom you have intervals settings.

0 Likes
Members_guu0uUY
First Poster
Options

Thanks for these replies. Yet, that works for preset (automatic) laps and it still doesn't address the question on how to show either the duration or distance of the present lap on the display, instead of the overall unit for these parameters.

I would really appreciate to discover whether it is possible to show the present lap metrics and, if yes, how to do so.

adamonsscommunity
Journeyman
Options

I've found, after experimenting with the Samsung Health app extensively, that there's no way to do this.  Well, that's not quite true... you can use interval training to show lap values, rather than overall values for things like distance, pace, time. 

I worked around this by setting up interval training with 100 manual intervals, then using the double-tap to move to the next lap for all my runs, even non-interval runs.  This KIND OF works, but it's a bodge job at best.  

Then I found the Gear Tracker II app.  This basically removes all the restrictions that Samsung for some reason place on their watch, in terms of displaying the data that the watch is capturing, and makes your GW a proper running watch, almost on a par with Garmin/Polar. 

Some of the highlights:

- customisable screen layouts, so you can have a screen which shows e.g. current lap duration/pace/time/speed, last lap duration/pace/time/speed, total duration/pace/time/speed... etc., etc.
- can use the physical buttons to pause/add a lap (no more double-tapping on the screen!!)
- easy custom interval training
- can set display to always on when starting an activity (can't believe you have to do this manually with Samsung Health)

Honestly, I thought I'd made a huge mistake moving from a Garmin to the GW4 until I found this app.  Can't recommend it highly enough and will solve all your problems!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.limegreenv.geartracker

TommyC314
Student
Options

I have had an issue with the intervals on the watch where the lap time is basically made up and starts at some random number. Has anyone else seen this? Some laps work and others are just random times.

0 Likes
jimmyT
First Poster
Options

Yes, this happens to me all the time. I have my laps set to 1 mile to try to avoid it, but sometimes (without double tap or even touching the watch at all), it registers a random lap. Sometimes the lap is as little as 1 sec or less. This is super annoying when you are focused on running and you hear a random lap register. It then throws off every lap after that, regardless of the lap interval setting.

0 Likes
Members_FEt6Hmj
First Poster
Options

I have exactly the same problem. Have you been able to resolve this issue? Can double tap be disabled? 

0 Likes
Sam Dezhnev
First Poster
Options

Same happens with my Galaxy Pro 5   all the time. No solution in sight. On several occasions it start switching laps in an infinite loop, i.e. "You completed lap 7, time 0 minutes 0 seconds; you completed lap 8 time 0 min 0 sec; you completed lap 9, time 0 min 0 sec..." and so on.   I started using "Hiking" app instead of Running. It seems to be more stable with Laps. Really disappointed with Galaxy 5 because of this issue. It never happened with Galaxy  1. Touch screen responsiveness is very inconsistent too. Galaxy 1 touch screen was perfect.  I should not have "upgraded". I am considering buying the old model from ebay. 

0 Likes
dgolzman
First Poster
Options

Have you managed to define a new lap by double-clicking on the screen? I have a watch 5 pro and I can never define a new lap in that way

0 Likes