Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch 4 notifications while not wearing the watch?

(Topic created on: 04-10-2021 07:12 PM)
Options

I have a Watch 4 Classic 46, still within the return window.

I want to be able to take it off my wrist, set it on the coffee table - and still see notifications on the scree while I'm not wearing it.

It doesn't do this and I can't find a setting that would allow it.

My current Watch 3 and my previous S3 Frontier both had this functionality.

Any tips?

Thanks,

0 Likes
31 REPLIES 31
lisafox16
Voyager
Options

The reason being the pin functionality is different on the 3 and 4 watches and it is because of the Pay feature. With the 3 you didn't have to put the pin in until you wanted to purchase something using your watch. With the 4 you have to put the pin in straight away. Without it you don't get any functionality on your watch. No weather, nothing from your phone at all. 

0 Likes
Options

Nonsense.

I have complete functionality on my 4 - weather, phone calls, texts, emails, samsung health, without setting up any pay services at all. 

Has nothing to do with pay services or pins.

0 Likes
Bennythejet55
Apprentice
Options

Hi there. I came across this while working with a Samsung rep via the chat. I at first thought this was a setting on the notifications, but after some remembering of the Watch 3 (That I just traded in for the watch 4), the setting you're speaking of came to mind. 

Regardless, this is what she had to say about the issue from her end. I hope this is helpful to whomever needs an answer to what may be happening with notifications. 

102021watch.PNG

Bobr1384
Pioneer
Options

These tips on clearing the cache and/or toggling settings are pointless. The OP is correct, Samsung chose to remove the basic setting that's been on every Galaxy watch since 2013 that allowed notifications to come through even while you weren't wearing your watch. It's the same setting that's stopping ALL of us with tattooed wrists from being alerted to any notifications. They come through, you just don't get the sound and/or vibration. Samsung reps have guaranteed it will be fixed in an update, but that could be next week or next year. I've attached a picture showing the setting that was stupidly removed on the galaxy watch 4. 

Screenshot_20211016-162915_Gallery.jpg

Bobr1384
Pioneer
Options

It makes it even more aggravating that alarms/reminders/navigation all come through without wearing it. Give us the setting option up allow ALL notifications while we're not wearing it. (Or in the case of tattoos, while the watch "thinks" you're not wearing it) 

Options

Yes, this is irritating. I still have my Watch 3; my Watch 4 is returnable until January 31. I'm considering returning it for this reason alone.

0 Likes
lisafox16
Voyager
Options

Yes it does. If you have set up Samsung Pay or probably Google Pay then you have to put in a pin when you take off and put the watch back on. When the watch is off you do not get any notifications at all.

0 Likes
Options

if you bothered to read the thread, you'd see that I have explicitly stated that I don't have either Samsung Pay or Google Pay set up. It is irrelevant - please don't muddy the discussion.

0 Likes
ThrowingCircles
First Poster
Options

Bumping this back up. 

I'm in the same boat. If I have the watch on my tattooed arm, it doesn't send me notifications. 

Garmin watches, older Wear os watches allow this. Why can't we just have this choice turned on?

Bobr1384
Pioneer
Options

Bumping this thread until they send an update to allow notifications while you're not wearing the watch. Anytime @Samsung