Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch 4 notifications while not wearing the watch?

(Topic created on: 29-09-2022 11:04 AM)
Options

I have a Watch 4 Classic 46, still within the return window.

I want to be able to take it off my wrist, set it on the coffee table - and still see notifications on the scree while I'm not wearing it.

It doesn't do this and I can't find a setting that would allow it.

My current Watch 3 and my previous S3 Frontier both had this functionality.

Any tips?

Thanks,

0 Likes
31 REPLIES 31
Bennythejet55
Apprentice
Options

I've also confirmed that this does affect people with very dark skin. My friend does not get notifications on his watch and has since returned it. 

0 Likes
Bennythejet55
Apprentice
Options

I'd love to think Samsung actually reads this. But we're coming up on 6 months since the watch's initial release and no sign or anything has been made for this feature to come back. Mostly because I think we're in a minority, here.

I hope a youtube reviewer picks this up, or someone writes an article about this. Because its a ridiculous feature to omit. 

Arnieator
First Poster
Options

I have been battling Samsung on why I get occasional silent notifications (no sound/no vibrate) on about 20% of my watch notifications.  They say it is hardware related.  This thread has helped me identify the problem!  I check my real-time heart rate history and the watch is losing HR occasionally.  So these notification must be coming in during these periods of undetected HR.  This is a major flaw and Samsung needs to turn on notification on watch 'even while not on wrist'!  This has rendered my watch 4 useless since the only reason I got the Samsung watch 4  was because I don't hear or feel notification with my S21 phone in my pocket.

KarolZ
First Poster
Options

is there a chance that Samsung will deal with this problem at all? my job requires my wrists to be free, but the watch is attached to the trouser belt so that I can see who is writing to me. this is a necessary function for me that i had in Galaxy watch 46. i still need it.

0 Likes
Bobr1384
Pioneer
Options

I wish/hope there's a way Samsung decides to do the right thing and bring back the notification setting that allows ALL notifications to come through regardless of whether the piece of s#hit watch thinks you're wearing it or not. To say it's dumb Samsung chose to remove this basic setting on the watch 4 after having it on every single watch they've had prior to that is an understatement. When I bought both versions of the watch 4, I was guaranteed by their customer service reps it would be fixed with an update. We'll we're now a year later and still nothing. I've got 2 watch 4's, and a brand new watch 5 sitting in my drawer and I'm stuck wearing a refurbished watch 3 simply because that allows all notifications on my sleeved arm/wrist. The watch 4 and 5 allow navigation/alarm/calendar reminders if you're not wearing it. It can't be difficult to fix if Samsung gave one ***** about their loyal customer base. I really wish I knew a popular youtuber/influencer that could get this complete joke to be seen by the right person.

AnnaRambo
Student
Options
I'm also struggling with this, tattoo right where my watch is
sealover1
Apprentice
Options

I,m going to have to sell my watch 4 if I cant find a way around this I want to get   notifications when not wearing the watch samsung said something about using an companion App to do this what the hell is a companion app? 

Garlin1
Apprentice
Options

Can't believe this is still a problem.  I also have a tattoo on both wrists so I can't get notifications.  I am a diabetic and rely on my Dexcom alerts going through.  

hyatuzlife
First Poster
Options

The wrist tattoos is an easy fix, Peter Mckinnon did a video on this a while back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkmPBHFSFyI
As for the "no-notification when not wearing" still no fix. Pretty annoying.

0 Likes
Green34
Student
Options

This is my first 'smart' watch. I've been dealing with the wrist detection issue since I purchased my watch 5 with my s23 ultra a few months ago. Discovered wrist detection was the issue and bought the little bubbles off amazon. Notifications, heart rate monitor, and sleep detection began to work, but only periodically. I have no wrist tattoos, but do have hairy arms. My roommate is female and has no hair on her arms and wrist detection still didn't work for her. I finally sent the device back to Samsung and the problems they identified were wifi failure and HRM sensor failure. They replaced part# GH82-29373A with description of SVC PBA-MAIN(USA/ZA)SM-R910,16GB,NA,XAA as well as part# GH97-27621A with description of MEA REAR-SM-R910;SM-R910,OPEN,BLACK.

Guess why I'm here... STILL DOESN'T WORK. The "show only while wearing" option needs to be revived. I will start looking for a flashed version of the software since it looks like this isn't coming back. Pretty disappointing 

0 Likes