Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch 4 notifications while not wearing the watch?

(Topic created on: 04-10-2021 11:25 PM)
Options

I have a Watch 4 Classic 46, still within the return window.

I want to be able to take it off my wrist, set it on the coffee table - and still see notifications on the scree while I'm not wearing it.

It doesn't do this and I can't find a setting that would allow it.

My current Watch 3 and my previous S3 Frontier both had this functionality.

Any tips?

Thanks,

0 Likes
31 REPLIES 31
Ferenc75
Helping Hand
Options
First I would be suggest clear cache. If not help then factory reset maybe help
0 Likes
nowdeleted
Big Cheese
Options
Is it still connected to your phone ?? As if it is it will continue to give notifications
0 Likes
Ferenc75
Helping Hand
Options
0 Likes
Options

ok - nothing to do with the cache.

I've reset and set it up several times. Right now it's a clean install.

yes, the phone (Note 10+) is connected and sitting on the same table.

Below is text from settings in the Gear app that might be relevant. Looks like the default is to not show notifications. I want the notifications to appear the same way whether the watch is on my wrist or not. Is there an override setting somewhere?:

• Show phone notifications on watch  
  • Show alerts when phone not in use  
  • When the phone screen is off or locked, notifications will be sent to your watch if you're wearing it.  
  • Show alerts even when phone in use  
  • Even when you're currently using your phone, notifications will be sent to your watch if you're wearing it.  
  • You won't get phone notifications on your watch when you're not wearing it. But if you have companion apps on the phone and watch, notifications will be silently sent to your watch if the watch is connected.  
  • Timers and alarms set on your watch will always notify you on the watch, even when you're not wearing it.
0 Likes
iKeieva
Journeyman
Options
Do you have Google pay set up as a pin is required for it and if the watch is not on your wrist it will ask for a pin and won't display notifications until its entered
0 Likes
Options

I'm talking about simple email and text notifications just as I have on my watch 3. Nothing to do with Google Pay, which I don't use.

0 Likes
RXM
Troubleshooter
Options
It's the same for Samsung Pay too if you have that, so having payment cards attached to the watch will have an impact on this function. Is it so you can charge it and recieve notifications without looking at your phone? There might be a setting in developer options which could help.
0 Likes
Options

At the end of the day I prefer to remove the watch and use it as a notification monitor off my wrist, as I did with my previous 2 Galaxy watches.

I still don't get why Samsung Pay or Google Pay would impact this function, especially since neither one is set up on this watch.

Actually, if I go into the app, then watch settings, then notifications and click on the tiny iinformation "i" in the upper right, next to the search symbol, it takes me to an info page that includes this paragraph:

"Notifications while watch not worn  

You won't get phone notifications on your watch when you're not wearing it. But if you have companion apps on the phone and watch, notifications will be silently sent to your watch if the watch is connected.  

Timers and alarms set on your watch will always notify you on the watch, even when you're not wearing it."

So it appears that indeed they have removed this functionality from the Watch 4. Guess I'll send it back and keep the 3, since this is something I use every day.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond!

Frank in Toronto 

0 Likes
Options

Just a followup: I've restored my Note to link to my Watch 3. In Watch settings menu- notifications there's an on/off  toggle for: "show only while wearing". This toggle is not present on the Watch 4, at least I haven't found it. Overall I'm underwhelmed by the Watch 4. It feels unfinished/half-baked compared to the Tizen watches. I'm sure it'll improve, and of course it has more potential, with Tizen being abandoned. But I think that  I will stay with Tizen/Watch 3 for the 2 support years left.

e

0 Likes