Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch 4 needs to have screen lock if you want to use it for payments

(Topic created on: 25-07-2022 05:32 PM)
Oceanica
Explorer
Options

I can't believe this very annoying feature did not come up in any of the many product reviews I read / watched for the Galaxy Watch 4. As others have remarked, unlike in (say) the Galaxy Active watches where you only the Samsung Pay app required unlocking each time you used it, with the Watch 4 if you enable either Samsung Pay or Google Pay on your watch it will need to have a display lock. If you turn the display lock off, it will wipe the cards on either app and you need to reauthorise them and turn the lock back on. The 'excuse' is oh you only need to unlock it when you put the watch on, which presumably Samsung/Google engineers thought only happens about once a day. But most of us probably take the watch off and put it back on multiple times a day - to charge, to dry if our hands got wet, etc. If you don't use the pay function regularly - and working from home, I really don't - then you're having to unlock the watch multiple times a day just to have the option to very occasionally pay for something with your watch. Just not worth having.

55 REPLIES 55
kbudin
First Poster
Options

So true. And not only that... nfc pay also seems to mess up the Always On Display feature.. now the Display always turns off after a few minutes.. very disappointing.. I think I will return this Watch!!

Diks Mathew
First Poster
Options

hi, my phone can use Samsung pay  without unlock the screen for smaller payment, why u can't do the same facility in watch, I brought watch 4  last  month…now very difficult pay in transit payment. Apple Watch can use smaller payment without unlock the screen. Please update your software. am a big fan of your echo system.except Samsung pay in watch 4.do it NFC active in lock screen. If really need lock choose a minimum amount like 50 dollar something like that ....then no need to say sorry....every time pressing the button unlock the screen  to use the payment...just tap and pay...small amounts....thank you

fredisco
Apprentice
Options

This is really annoying Samsung/Google can you please fix this.. There are plenty of good suggestions to solutions above.

MarkRoosevelt
First Poster
Options

I "traded up" from an ancient Galaxy Watch (no gen number), and like practically everyone else on here disabled Samsung pay on my watch because I had to enter a pin just to check the weather. I've since switched to Google pay on my Pixel 5 phone and will NOT BE USING SAMSUNG PAY until they fix this fiasco.

StephMinshall
First Poster
Options

COMPLETELY agree.  This is software regression.  No one is suggesting you don't need a lock for payments, but I counted 14 times that I was asked for the screen lock in one day and I didn't even need to use pay that day.  The pin is tiny so naturally annoying and the pattern so obvious to all around you that it defeats the purpose. In all the active 2 vs watch 4 info, this never came up.  It is a real backwards step for those of us upgrading to 4

DREKNOWS
Explorer
Options

Totally agree I have the Gear 3 Frontier and it is much more reliable furthermore I have a odd tattoo sleeve with lots geometric black and white dots . I can't be certain as both my arms are tattooed this way but seems like it has issues reading through tattoo or at least maybe because mine are crazy as hell tiny little dots and pure black with patches of skin hard to explain . Anyways the stupid payment thing is enough to make me want me sell it if they do t fix it immediately such poor design a step backwards in my opinion. Also I liked the heft of Frontier imagine the battery usage we get if they kept that weight it be better watch.

ShayB90
Student
Options

This is *****. Just got my watch, added my own visa, my joint visa and revolut card. Chuffed. And then realised this issue... I'm going to leave the cards on and see if it annoys me enough to disable Google pay on my watch4. 

For people wondering if this is going to be fixed... please log a complaint to samsung support, the more we complain, the quicker this will get addressed.

rw3123
Apprentice
Options

I fully agree with the stated: why lock the entire device for one feature. Better to lock the feature alone! This way using Pay is a nuisance and I already stopped using it within 1 day! Too bothersome to keep unlocking your watch for day-to-day tasks just because you have Pay activated. And true: disabling the lock, wipes all your payment settings/linked card so you'd have to go through the process of adding them again. Really a big fail here. Pay was one of the options for me to even consider buying this watch.

Oceanica
Explorer
Options

In addition to not being able to use the Pay function, I have never been able to use the ECG and blood pressure monitors either. Followed all instructions, tried readjusting the watch, staying very still.... nada.  And turning on the LTE functionality so you can make calls from the watch causes the battery to melt down (tried four different watches, same result...). It's a rubbish product, and a really regrettable purchase. 

WayneC_uk
First Poster
Options

This is a terrible backwards step.. 

I also have old Samsung Watch 42mm that was fine for Samsung Pay... enter the pin once and better layout for pin around the watch face... 

Useless now on new Samsung Watch 4... I can't be putting pin in everyday for occasional use of Samsung Pay... and pin layout grid is terrible. 

Why did you change it? 

Also battery doesn't last half as long as old watch... regretting this upgrade just for Blood Oxygen levels...

Please fix this problem.