Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch 4 LTE & Wi-fi calling

(Topic created on: 06-12-2021 04:22 PM)
MG_user
Apprentice
Options

Hello,

Does anyone have a clue on whether it is/ will be possible to use the wi-fi connections to make/ receive phone calls on the LTE Watch (being in standalone mode ie. smartphone disconnected) ? With weak LTE signal the watch overheats easily and the ability to use the Wi-fi signal instead would be a great workaround to the common problem.

Eg. Orange offers the app "Wi-fi calling" which manages connections (seamlessly to the end-user) when mobile signal is weak or absent. This is supported on Apple Watch but apparently not on the Galaxy Watch...

Best regards,

MG

Galaxy Watch4 Classic Galaxy Watch4 

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi,
This page maybe helpful

Make and answer calls on your Samsung smart watch

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00061408/
0 Likes
MG_user
Apprentice
Options

Thanks !

It seems it's ok for the non-LTE model but:

"Call & text on other devices currently does not work with Verizon and AT&T phones, or(...) with an LTE Galaxy smart watch that has active mobile service."

- and this is my case... The LTE model suffers a lot when trying to connect to LTE when the signal is weak - thus the wi-fi connection would be a lifesaver (eg. at home away from the mobile infrastructure or in some modern offices)

Best regards,

MG

0 Likes
Potshot2k4
Pathfinder
Options
Hey there, I've just tried it and it worked for me. Don't think the watch itself supports calls over WiFi if you have no signal, but as long as you have your phone on somewhere with a signal, have call and text on other devices enabled on your phone as well as remote connection on the wearable app, I managed to make and also receive a call when my watches only connection was thru wifi. Mine is the lte version but I didn't enable the mobile network
0 Likes
MG_user
Apprentice
Options

Thanks, I think what you describe means the Galaxy Watch connects to the mobile via Bluetooth & the mobile connects to the world via the mobile infrasctructure (eg. LTE) - while my query is on the LTE Galaxy Watch connecting to the world directly via WiFi (with the phone disconnected via Bluetooth or completely shut off).

I know this "Wi-fi calling" allows mobile phones (but also the Apple Watch) to use Wi-fi for making & receiving calls & texts when the mobile infrastructure (eg. LTE signal) is weak or completely absent - so why should the Galaxy Watch LTE not be able to do so too ?

My situation is that the Galaxy Watch 4 LTE is my primary tool for calls/ texts (I'm on a strict mobile phone diet so I can start appreciating the world around me again :smiling-face: - and this works fairly ok when I'm in an area covered well by the LTE signal, but completely bad when I"m out of it...

Best regards,

MG

Potshot2k4
Pathfinder
Options
No, Bluetooth was switched off , my watches connection to phone was thru wifi (and phone was using cellular network). It's definitely possible to connect to your phone via WiFi only and still get notifications and calls etc from phone to watch when you are not near your phone (as long as phone is still on and connected to a network)
0 Likes
nesiasps
Pathfinder
Options

in which network do you have esim in the watch? it seems to be impossible to work without BT?

0 Likes