Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch 4 GPS Unusable since 5th September Upgrade

(Topic created on: 05-10-2022 09:58 AM)
guinness
Journeyman
Options

Since installing the Sep 5th 22 software upgrade (which I can't seem to revert), my watch can no longer achieve a GPS lock when not tethered to my phone.  It worked perfectly until the update.

I have tried location settings (including improve accuracy on/off), permissions, rebooting, full factory reset.

I bought this watch mainly as device for tracking running and cycling so it is now basically useless to me, which is extremely disappointing.   I note quite a few other people reporting the same issue online.

I'm so close to giving up on Samsung but hoping support might be able to give some advice or a patch to resolve this.

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8
Neo001
Legend
Options

Hi,

There is indeed an issue with the GPS locking since the last update. It takes longer to acquire a lock. Indoors, it hardly works. The lock is acquired quicker when connected to a phone that has location turned on.

Hopefully, the next update will fix it.

Refer the treads below (in Dutch unfortunately, sorry for that). 

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/wearables/galaxy-watch-4-gps-probleem/m-p/6108392#M24608 

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/mobiele-apps-services/samsung-health-geeft-eerste-km-niet-meer-w... 

Some tips from Samsung: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01203472/

guinness
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for the reply.    Unfortunately in my case the lock doesn't just take longer, it never happens; at least it hasn't achieved it on any of the 45 minute+ runs I've done this month.   No GPS data on a run prevents it syncing to Strava as well.

I agree it still works well when connected to my phone but I prefer not to carry a phone when running (another reason I bought this watch was for untethered music). 

I understand that for many owners this might not be a big issue, but I'm still astonished that such a significant regression can be introduced in a software update and still not patched a month later.

Neo001
Legend
Options

Have you already filed an error report via the wearable app > Contact us? The more people file an error report, the faster it gets resolved. Ensure that the error report is sent while GPS is turned.

0 Likes
guinness
Journeyman
Options

No.  I happily would but cannot find any Contact Us option in the Wearables App.

0 Likes
Neo001
Legend
Options

In the wearable app, click on the 3 lines on top left.

Screenshot_20221005_135845.jpg

guinness
Journeyman
Options

Thanks.  Can't believe I missed that! I have now sent a report. 

guinness
Journeyman
Options

Disappointing response this morning from using the Help -> Contact Us  in the Wearables App! :

We kindly inform you that you contacted Samsung Content and Services. Here we can assist you if you encounter any issues related to the Samsung Account sign-in process, Galaxy Store, Find My Mobile etc.

In order for you to get the proper assistance on this matter, I would kindly advise you to contact our colleagues from Samsung Electronics.

Go to http://www.samsung.com/ and find the "Contact Us" category on the page, where you can choose the desired way to contact Samsung Products Customer Support Team.

Anyway, I followed the instructions and spoke to Live Chat who - after a protracted series of diagnostics (which I'd already tried) - suggested I send the device for repair.   I declined, because the watch was purchased as refurbished and therefore will be not be in warranty. 

I'm not sure how much use a "repair" would have been anyway as we share the opinion this is a software issue.  

0 Likes
guinness
Journeyman
Options

Looks like this issue might have been resolved by the 13th October software update I've just applied.  GPS fix is rapid now!

Great news for those affected but I don't think this issue was handled very well.  With no response from Samsung on any of many threads on this issue, and seemingly no awareness of the problem in their support function either, I lost hope and bought a Garmin and migrated everything over so that's me out of the game.

0 Likes