Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch 4 - First Impressions

(Topic created on: 22-08-2021 07:46 PM)
CrazyTom2k2
Helping Hand
Options

Hey all🙂,

Hope everyone's doing great! Sorry, but it's another long one. You'll need a cuppa!

It's been a while since I last shared anything here. Recently I ordered a Galaxy Watch4 (LTE) version, and had it arrive yesterday (even though it comes out next week!) Thought I'd share some first impressions 

As you probably know, the Watch4 runs WearOS 3 instead of Tizen. And so far, I'm loving the revamped WearOS so far. It's defo more responsive than I remember WearOS 2 being. I'm also loving the integration with the Play Store, as I can download apps and search for Watch Apps at the same time. We're no longer limited to the Galaxy Store! Additionally, for those people who use Google Pay, you should be able to download this on your Watch4!

Other things I love about the watch include the new BIA sensor, which was pretty epic to try (although the result told me I had too much skeletal bone, so I'm consulting with my GP to work out how many limbs need amputating!) Back to the love, I also love how responsive the watch is when I tilt my wrist to turn the screen on. Especially when playing my music with the media controls on display.

However, every product has it's downsides, and there's a couple of things that I had access to on my Watch Active2 that I'm missing on the Watch4.

The first thing I'm missing is the Auto Bedtime Mode - my Watch Active2 used to be pretty on-point with detecting when I was asleep and enabling bedtime mode. Scheduling bedtime mode on the Watch4 is an option, but that doesn't really work for me as I go to sleep at different times each night - I much preferred the way the Watch Active2 handled Bedtime Mode.

The second thing I miss is the animations that used to appear after charging - the jumpy smiley face and star. Now, this one might be a bit of an odd one, but hear me out! I felt there was something comforting when I'd pull my watch off charge and I'd get a smiley face or a jumpy star. It gave the watch personality. 

I'm guessing Samsung's team could possibly bring in the above features, so I really hope this feedback reaches the software team. Because, despite these couple of bits that I miss from Tizen, Samsung have done a really great job here, and I really really like my Galaxy Watch4. But those couple of missing bits really do stop me from "loving" the product!

To those thinking about buying a Galaxy Watch4 - if you want a decent all-round Smartwatch that's compatible with Android, there's no better choice than the Galaxy Watch4!😀

(Also, side note, but if you're looking to buy a 4G/LTE version of the watch, I would strongly recommend buying it through your Mobile Provider. I say this because I spent a couple of hours dealing with O2 yesterday trying to get an eSIM set up.)

Best wishes,
Tom😀
28 REPLIES 28
CrazyTom2k2
Helping Hand
Options
Okay, so, one issue I have noticed. This one's a BIG one - my watch won't make contactless payments. Haven't tested if this is the case using Sammy Pay, but using Google Pay I'll plonk my watch on the reader and it'll do nothing, so I'm falling back to using my physical cards. Again, another one that can probably be fixed with an update
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@CrazyTom2k2  will be  a bit inconvenient for fans of this method,  however trust it will be sorted in due course. 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

CrazyTom2k2
Helping Hand
Options
On the bright side, third day and that battery life is amazing!! Made it through the day and I'm on 52% (including a couple hours of the watch being on 4G). I'd probably be sitting closer to 74% on the Watch if I hadn't gone out without my phone 😀
Clive7409
Voyager
Options
Definitely works with Samsung Pay as have used a few times last couple of days... guessing is a Gpay issue which not good as a lot want to use that.
CrazyTom2k2
Helping Hand
Options
Hmmm, I'll need to give Sammy Pay a go on the Watch then 😉
0 Likes
CrazyTom2k2
Helping Hand
Options
Okay, another bug report here - the Blood Oxygen monitoring during sleep doesn't seem to work. I've got it enabled but it records nada - am I doing something wrong here or is this a bugggg? 😀
walkerx
Helping Hand
Options
If you are on EE you can set all this up via the wearable app when you setup device.

Select the plan given when setting up, then afterwards you need to go into mobile plan settings and link the device fully to account and it then all setup. On EE you get 10gb data and minutes/texts taken from your phone plan. You can't use text if phone is off.

I got 37 hours before putting on charge @23% and that included 2 sleeps, 1 hour GPS activity tracking and constant tracking of heart rate and stress.

The sleep is auto enabled so no need to select it, but did find blood oxygen doesn't work unless do manually. It is enabled on phone, but on watch it says to set to continuous in settings but you only have options for heart rate and stress to set, so could be why not working.

Users in other countries have an option on watch for continuous blood oxygen recording so unsure why this is not on UK models

Overall happy with the upgrade from GWA2
mcmahonman
Apprentice
Options

I'm also having this issue. Glad to hear it isn't just me. 

0 Likes
Members_6UwzJoy
Journeyman
Options

Samsung pay works fine on mine.

However I have experienced a few "watch needs to cool down" messages, and the watch would switch to airplane mode for a minute. That happens mainly during calls (with LTE and earbuds, no smartphone).

Anybody had the same issue?

0 Likes