Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy watch 4 Classic GPS broken after software update

(Topic created on: 24-09-2022 05:34 PM)
francobegbie
Journeyman
Options

After updating to the latest watch firmware last night, today when I went for a run it did not track the route. After further investigation, it seems that GPS is now not working at all on my watch. I think this must be due to the software update as it tracked my run perfectly on Tuesday. Is this a common problem?

23 REPLIES 23
francobegbie
Journeyman
Options
Bluetooth
0 Likes
David Leiva
First Poster
Options

After the last firmware update I have had 2 problems:

1. it has count double steps with the same route I do every day, so I'm pretty sure about the step count is not correct

2. I notices at least 3 reboots, one while I was walking and the phone alerted me about lost connection with the watch and two times when I was sit on my office desk

I haven't installed any app recently nor changed any configuration on my phone (galaxy S22 ultra) or watch, only the software update in the watch.

I hate this updates when they make a product worst than before.

0 Likes
yasa-1981
Journeyman
Options

hi, i have same problem. I reset gw4 several time, but not solved.

francobegbie
Journeyman
Options

So I went out for a run today and I think the problem is solved. Here is what I did:

1. Downloaded an app called 'Wear GPS fix' that I saw recommended on reddit. This bypasses using phone GPS, so you can see if there is a problem. I stood outside for 5 mins and didn't pick up any GPS satellites.

2. When disconnected from phone, I opened the compass app. I flicked down a couple of screens and it asked me to agree to something to do with location, which I did.

3. Retried the Wear GPS fix app, and now when I stand outside it locks on to multiple GPS satellites fairly quickly.

I did notice that the green location symbol on Samsung Health took about 30 seconds to stop flashing at the start of my run, which I think means it takes about that long to lock on. Never noticed it doing that before, but at least it's working now!

0 Likes
yasa-1981
Journeyman
Options

Can you share download link? I can't find link to download.

0 Likes
francobegbie
Journeyman
Options
yasa-1981
Journeyman
Options

@francobegbie wrote:

Reddit thread here, with link in the OP comment: https://www.reddit.com/r/WearOS/comments/kpk2xr/new_app_wear_gps_fix_shows_realtime_satellite/

The problem was not solved

Members_5P0n85K
First Poster
Options

I have the very same problem after the latest firmware upgrade.  Prior to the update, GPS fix on my galaxy watch 4 classic during my runs took couple of seconds (max few minutes).  After the update, GPS fix either takes like 10-20 minutes, or the watch is not able to obtain GPS fix at all during an entire run.  Of course, I have tried several complete watch restarts, but no success.

aarfrick
First Poster
Options

Same problem. Looks like I get gps on the phone samsung health app with limited running metrics or no gps with watch metrics... can't have both? Samsung, my love, what have you done?