Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch 4 classic - Auto Brightness does not work very well in dark and bright situations?

(Topic created on: 09-09-2021 07:49 PM)
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

Anyone else having issues with auto brightness on the Watch 4?

For me when I'm in a normally lit environment the watch face is correctly illuminated.  However outside on a bight day OR in a dark environment the screen is never quite bright enough.  I can see it but its just too dim.  

4 REPLIES 4
AndrewL
Options

@blenky: Do you have Auto-Brightness enabled (Settings > Display > Auto Brightness)? 

blenky
Helping Hand
Options
Yes I do.
0 Likes
Paul Mullen
Apprentice
Options

I found the same with swimming.  I tried turning the brightness all the way up, turning auto-brightness OFF, and turning always-on ON.  I figured that that would give me an always readable display.  But alas while swimming the display is not bright enough to read as I make a turn.

Two observations, one root issue:
I don't think the design takes into account older swimmers whose uncorrected eyesight cannot read small font and low contrast.  

1) Observation:  The workout screens are very flexible, but they do not provide a big single parameter screen.  For me, it would be lengths or laps.

2) Observation:  The choice of font color is a very pleasing light gray under most conditions.  But that color does not provide enough contrast for older eyes.

I'm not sure that the next observation is true, but it seems to me that even with the settings described above, the display seems to be dimmer after a few seconds of swimming, compounding the problem described above.

It would be helpful to note that the Galaxy Active 2 watch did not have the problems described above.  The always-on and brightness control was built into the app rather than relying on always on.

It would be terrific to solve the "older eyes" problem.  With that resolved, this would be the hands down best smartwatch swimming app.

0 Likes
mytone1
Student
Options

I have the same problem. I have the Galaxy Watch 4 - 44mm. In a dim environment, I cannot see the letters clearly enough to read them. You would think a multi-billion dollar company like Samsung would be able to get something as mundane as this correct. I guess not. I wonder if there's a fix for this on the horizon. I'm trying so hard to like this watch, but it's difficult. What would also be nice would be to be able to adjust the size of the type ever so slightly. How hard can that be?

0 Likes