Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch 3 calories not counting correctly

(Topic created on: 24-02-2021 08:03 PM)
thdolphin
Journeyman
Options

I have received the new Samsung  Galaxy watch 3. But I have one issue with it. I work out every morning.  According to my watch i only burnt 281 Calories for a 60 minute work according to my Peloton bike I burnt 527 calories that is a big difference.  With the Samsung Galaxy watch 2 their was a difference as well. So I upgraded to the 3 thinking it would fix my problem.  But now I am just irritated that i have spent this much on not just one watch but 2, now and still not counting correctly.  If I spent this much money on a watch, you would want it to work correctly.  Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Likes
40 REPLIES 40
Daide
Explorer
Options
Installed mine today, will give it a go on Friday
wes_harley02
Apprentice
Options

Like you guys, I hope the next update fixes this but I shouldn't get my hopes up.  It's really stupid that I can choose circuit workout and get the same calorie count if i sit on my butt for 30 min vs HIIT for 30 min.   I've had to start using my Apple watch again during workouts and then switch back to my Galaxy afterwards. 

BTW, I contact chat support and I might as well have been asking my dog next to me.  Sorry to say.

thdolphin
Journeyman
Options

I hope it fixes it too.  Like yesterday I did a 30 minute boot camp ride on the Pleton then 20 minute strength class then 10 minute cor. I only burnt 190 calories according to my Samsung watch.  So here goes nothing. We will see if this update fixes the problem. 

0 Likes
wes_harley02
Apprentice
Options

That's funny because 190 calories is what I see for 30 min after every HIIT workout I do.

0 Likes
Ak4
Pioneer
Options

I've had this issue with the galaxy active 2, turns out the workouts that are not running/walking all have preprogrammed calories burned. I've asked for this to be put on the website so people who require fitness tracking do not get sucked into buying a Samsung watch.

I dm'd Samsung help UK and this was the response:

Good afternoon! Thanks for reaching out to us. We just want to clear up that they aren't pre-programmed calories that are burnt. Certain workouts, like walking and running for example, will take into account your heart rate, along with the stats given on your Samsung Health Profile. There are some workouts that will not utilise the heart rate, but will take in to account your Samsung Health Profile and Basal Metabolic Rate. So they are tailored to you, providing your profile is accurate, but you are right, some workouts don't use the Heart Rate Monitor.

If there are certain workouts you feel could be improved, we suggest sending in your feedback through Error Reports on our Samsung Members app. That way, this will be sent over to our Research and Development team for review. ^JS

I've reported it a billion times for it to be changed on the website and maybe update the watch but apparently it's been that way since the watches existed. Better get a fitbit or apple watch for better calories tracking

0 Likes
Ak4
Pioneer
Options

Hi, 

I've had this issue with the galaxy active 2, I dm'd Samsung help UK about the new ECG update fixing this issue and got this reply:

The calorie count displayed does not mean the exact burned calories during exercise, and is not the same as the true burned calorie data. The calorie calculation may increase based on the basal metabolic rate (BMR), even without exercising. This is normal operation. You can find this information on the following page our colleagues have put together: https://t.co/3UPihQt1YO

Also, the new ECG/BP update is not to be used during exercise. You can find more information on it here: https://t.co/tfqPQ2njol ^SH

0 Likes
Daide
Explorer
Options
Thank you, that is interesting, it's also interesting that we got told 2 different things. It is annoying not to have calorie burn based on actual effort however for now the watch is good enough elsewhere for me to keep it. Hopefully the next generation of watches will include one that is the whole package of smart and fitness watch.
Thanks for the reply!
Ak4
Pioneer
Options

Honestly this is the only reason I've kept it I rang up to return it today but realised I use it for so many other things it's just super annoying I can't track my calories burned during a workout correctly and will possibly use an apple or fitbit watch for workouts but as it stands the watch works well for me in other aspects so I will be stuck with it for a while just want other people to be aware who are searching for a fitness tracking watch maybe not to choose Samsung. 

0 Likes
Daide
Explorer
Options
Yeah I agree, I certainly wouldn't recommend it for accurate workout tracking, although the GPS side seems to work well.
0 Likes
Ak4
Pioneer
Options

I have noticed though it gives a decent reading for calories if you change it to duration instead of basic workout do vigorous for other workout as it's probably the only option we have and it shows I burn like 200-250 which I'd say is reasonable