Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy steps doubled with phone in pocket?

(Topic created on: 19-08-2019 12:47 PM)
Mcab50
Apprentice
Options

Just got a new 42mm Galaxy Watch and am concerned that steps are doubled if I go for a walk with phone in pocket. 'All steps' are selected in Samsung Health but there is no option to count just Galaxy watch steps. Does this mean my actual steps for the walk are being doubled?! Thanks for your response.

35 REPLIES 35
AndrewL
Options
@Mcab50: Your Galaxy Watch and phone record steps separately. However, you can sync the watch and phone through Samsung Health, so all of your steps will be added together in one step count.

Using the connected phone, open the Galaxy Wearable app, and then swipe to and touch Samsung Health. Touch the Step Tracker, touch More Options, and then touch View your step count data. Choose 'All Steps', which you've done, as your step count source. Now both your watch and phone will be synced, and their total will appear in Samsung Health. Hope this helps.
Mcab50
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for your reply. However, the problem is that I don't want all of my steps to be added together in one step count. For example, say I go for a walk which is 3,000 steps, If my phone is in my pocket counting steps and my watch is counting steps, then adding them together would give 6,000 steps which is obviously double the actual number of steps I walked. Can I not just send the steps from my watch to Samsung Health and not the phone steps as well? Thanks. 

AndrewL
Options
I see what you mean, @Mcab50. To address this, please open the S Health app on your phone > Tap the 3 dots in the top right > Settings > Detect Workouts > Flip the switch to the left so it greys out and disables. Now your phone shouldn't record your steps, leaving the step counter on the watch to capture your data.
0 Likes
Mcab50
Apprentice
Options

OK, great, thanks, I'll give that a go. Thanks for your help :smiling-face:

Garry4
Journeyman
Options

For me S Health most certainly does not add the steps together if I have both the watch and phone on me.  Try turning off Bluetooth on your phone (to disconnect from watch) then take a walk with both on your person.  Note the steps on both at the start and end of your walk.  Now turn Bluetooth back on and let S Health sync.  Mine makes a small adjustment but does not add them both together or average them so not sure what calculation is being used.

I also notice that the 'detect workouts' toggle, in  S health, greys out once the watch is detected 

Wolfrunner
Explorer
Options

I now have the same problem as the OP above.

Carrying the phone and wearing the galaxy watch results in double counting steps from, at least, auto detected exercise. The setting in the phone is greyed out and not able to be turned off.

The health App does not allow separating the step count between galaxy watch and mobile. I presume it allows it for any other watch? 

Grant837
Explorer
Options

If you wear your watch all the time, then indeed, you only want the watch data.  The solution is easy now: on the phone app, go to the Steps pages in the Health app, select ' Mobile '  only, AND now go up to the three dots in the upper right, and select 'Pause Step Counts'.  Then go back and switch to 'All Steps'  (phone and watch).  After that only steps from your watch are tracked.

(It could be the developers thought about this and they try to normalize the two inputs so its only counting one or the other.  One person has tested it and said it is so.  My observations indicate that indeed its not 100% doubling up, but only 10-10%.  It would be neat if a few people would test this and confirm)

Wolfrunner
Explorer
Options
Thank you Grant837 for your post.

I found similar instructions in another Samsung thread which I implemented 2 days ago and yes, it does now count only watch steps.

This is the solution.

Thanks once again for replying.
0 Likes
brittonnick
First Poster
Options

Logic should dictate if "All steps" is selected it shouldn't double count. If it is double counting the developers are plonkers. Time stamps from both devices makes it easy to prevent this.

There are times when my watch is charging , but I have my phone, vice versa and times where I have both. So I definitely want The Health App to recognise this, not double count, when I have both, but add together when I only have one device.

The original straight forward question was handled terribly btw Samsung.