Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy ear buds pro causing ear

(Topic created on: 01-08-2021 12:33 PM)
Stillshot
Student
Options

I recently got the ear buds pro and shortly thereafter got an ear infection from using these. I've been using the creative outlier air the last 3 years without any issues and would commonly used the lm for 8 hours straight on many days. I also have no known allergies. 

I stopped using the ear buds and the infection cleared up in about a week. I tried them one more time (after cleaning them of course) and I got another infection the next day.  I've only now seen this around and since I can't return these ear buds im looking for a recommended alternate eartip.

Any links for recommended tips for this kind of issue would be appreciated. Thanks. 

41 REPLIES 41
StephK1
Options

Hey @Stillshot! If you haven't already, and you're based in the UK/Ireland, please send over a PM to @Sam_UK with further details, so that we can take a look into this for you. 

0 Likes
Blind_Marv
Pathfinder
Options
I have commented previously on the forum that I had the same problem.
I have replaced the silicone tips with memory foam ones. My problem was cured.
There are some for sale on Amazon , but make sure that they are specifically for the buds pro
WJF
First Poster
Options

Count me among those experiencing an extreme reaction to wearing/ using my Buds Pro. Using them for even a relatively short amount of time (15 minutes) causes redness, persistent itching and the 'wet ear' symptoms that others have described. These symptoms last for days and are pretty miserable to contend with.

I've disinfected both buds and the charging case (with isopropyl wipes) and use the wipes on the buds before each use. I've replaced the tips with a set from 'Comply". I thought for sure that the tip replacement would provide relief and make them usable, but no such luck.

I am a big fan and frequent consumer of Samsung products and have been for *years*. That said, I am bitterly disappointed with my purchase of the Buds Pro. Effectively, I've spent $200 on a pair of ear buds that I can't wear and that pose an actual hazard to the health of my ears!!

As additional data points, I'm in the US. I've used the first gen Samsung Buds in the past with no issues at all. I also own and use a set of Shure 535's - again with no issues at all. It is only the Buds Pro that cause the severe, painful reaction to my ears.

Hoping that my experience serves as a cautionary tale to potential buyers and that it reaffirms for others experiencing these symptoms, that they aren't alone ...

AndrewL
Options

@WJF: I'm really sorry to hear that you've experienced discomfort while wearing the Galaxy Buds Pro. If you're based in the US then please reach out to the Samsung support team in your region via the link below, and an advisor will be able to pass you to the relevant department for further investigation. 

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/

0 Likes
Ryler007
Explorer
Options

Hey Stillshot, changing the tips will not make a difference, I also suffered the same - ears leaking crusty aftermath. I decided to purchase foam tips but the infection returned. Samsung will not own up to this instead they gave me £150 as a gesture of goodwill and I still have the buds pro (now gathering dust). I recently asked them via Twitter if the buds 2 had been engineered differently and they decided to ignore me. Given Samsung’s shocking service I’ve decided to return to Apple where they actually take matters like this seriously.

Ryler007
Explorer
Options

Shame on Samsung, the infections face by us are not just mere scratches but consist of liquid leaking from the ears, skin shredding from the lining of the inner ears and extreme discomfort. The problem is not the silicone tips but rather more insidious from the actual housing of the bud or yet even a radioactive issue. As I was enjoying the S21 ultra and the Galaxy watch 3, the buds would have completed my Samsung eco experience and so I repurchased the Buds plus and they also gave me the same infection and were returned immediately. Will the buds 2 be the same or have Samsung secretly ‘changed the ingredients’ is yet to be seen but I’ve had enough of this company. Samsung have the worlds most beautiful screens but Apples Customer service and products are second to none. The AirPods Pro cause no infections, sound way better and connect to Samsung devices albeit without all the functionality. 

Ryler007
Explorer
Options
I bought the Buds 2 recently thinking that with all the complaints Samsung may have sorted the issue out and guess what. . . . Drumroll. . . . . . .NO
0 Likes
Haruka_Rin
First Poster
Options

I also experience this myself. It is really upsetting. Wrote in to Samsung and all they replied was the following..

"Firstly, we regret learning of the inconvenience that you have encountered due to this issue. Kindly take note that Samsung Electronics does not use any internationally restricted materials or any other potentially harmful material in any component of the Galaxy Buds that comes into direct contact with the skin. Samsung Electronics also certifies its compliance with international environmental regulations by the authorized international test institutions, for certain materials that could be included in the silicone, plastic, and metal used in Galaxy Buds products."

It made me felt that it was my fault and all. 
After using the buds, I had been having ear infection a few times. The reaction to these earbuds was that, my ears would started to get irritated and itchy and started to leak out pus and sometimes bleed, especially at night when I slept, I got to place tissues or cloth under my ear as the earwax/fluid or pus will start leak out badly. The skin around my ears would then became flaky and crusty causing dryness and itch. I didn't think that the buds could have been the cause of infection and inflammation until I tried a few rounds of it. 

Gave them a second try as I really could believe the buds would cause the infection or what not. I put them in my ears for 20-30 minutes and my ears started the itch again. This time round was the worse, my ears started to leak and ridiculous amount of fluid/pus.

Previously, I had used another brand and wore them for hours, none of these ever happened. The ear infection really caused a lot of inconvenience at home and work. It is really upsetting that I no longer can use this product anymore after using it for 3 times and that it is going to be of a wastage. 

Txawj Vam
Apprentice
Options

I got the same problem with my buds pro too. I think it as to do with material of the buds that is causing a irritation on the ear canal.

0 Likes