Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Galaxy Buds+ Constantly Disconnecting from Surface Pro 4 Or Metallic Interference Making It Difficult To Hear

(Topic created on: 06-06-2020 01:08 PM)
robinwilson16
Journeyman
Options

I purchased the Galaxy Buds+ for use with a Surface Pro 4 device for use on video calls over Teams/Zoom around the end of February for use during the lockdown whilst working from home.

Firstly I noticed that when a call connects I was unable to use my Microsoft Surface Bluetooth Mouse so had to switch to an old USB one as often need to do screen sharing.

If I remove the buds from my ears, when I want to use them again I must go to Windows 10 settings and disconnect them and reconnect them before they will work which leads to me missing most incomming calls and needing to phone everyone back.

Aside from these issues though, whilst some days the buds work correctly, about 50% of the time they will keep disconnecting during a call so I will again need to go to settings and disconnect and reconnect them. Other times only one will work, or one or both of them will output metallic noises along with the audio making it difficult to hear what the person on the other end is saying. The left one seems the worst. The Surface Pro 4 sits right in front of me on a desk connected to 2 24" screens so I don't know why they would be so tempramental and it is dissapointing for such an expensive device.

I also tried using them with my iPhone for use whilst cycling and when I put my phone in my pocket they often disconnect too or if they work, after a short time the audio will pause and I must stop and get my phone out to resume it again so they just don't seem to work reliably at all on either device.

I have had to switch to an old USB Jabra headset now for video calls.

Can anything be done to make these work the way they are supposed to?

When they work they are good and sound quality is high quality but they are just so unrelaible and frustrating to use.

Thanks

Robin

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15
rhea2
First Poster
Options

Hi,

Just wondered if there was any resolution to your issue? I am having very similar problems using the Galaxy Buds+ with a Surface Book 2 and an iPhone XR.

0 Likes
robedwardsj
First Poster
Options

I have a similar problem.  It does not appear to have anything to do with your iPhone.  I have a Samsung Note 10.  I turn off the bluetooth on the phone when talking on MS Teams on my MS Surface Pro 5.  I haven't determined whether I am losing connection when I am on mute or just after a certain period of time, but I lose the ability to hear the other side and I believe they lose the ability to hear me.

0 Likes
robinwilson16
Journeyman
Options

Hello both

As of yet there is no solution and I have tried all troubleshooting steps mentioned here and the same problems continue.

As there has been no further response from anyone on the support side in 3 weeks after telling me to reset these and then follow steps on an Android device (when I clearly stated I was using an iPhone and Surface Pro) I have to assume these just don't work very well so am planning to attempt to return today as are not fit for purpose and refuse to work reliably with either of my devices with the left earbud being notably worse that the right one.

There is a constant need to disconnect and reconnect and I miss 100% of all incomming calls on Teams by the time I get them working and the distotion happens on the remote end (them not hearing me) as well as my end but may not be both at once so I may not realise. It is an annoyance for everyone to have to keep repeating what I miss when they randomly disconnect.

I'm going to try some Apple AirPods in the hope they work better. Everyone on TV seems to be using those so hopefully that is a good sign!

Robin

0 Likes
Solution
robinwilson16
Journeyman
Options

I just thought I would post a final update after trying to use these one last time to watch a 4min Youtube clip on the Surface Pro where I first put both mobiles and smart watch in a different room, disabled my Bluetooth mouse and played the video. It took 8 attempts to get them to both connect without bad interference (device about 40-50cm away on glass desk) by disconnecting and reconnecting in Windows Settings and even then there were metalic echoes in the background and halfway through they went off so I had to pause the video and reconnect which took a few attempts again.

I believe they have become progressively worse over time (have had them approx 2.5months) as had they been as bad as the example above I would have taken them straight back. In case this helps others I can document how they have deteriorated.

After purchase:

Annoyingly I found I had to disconnect and reconnect after reinserting into my ears on PC and then other bluetooth devices like the Microsoft Surface mouse didn't work when using these. Had to keep settings open to quickly disconnect and reconnect so they would work.

After 3-4 weeks:

Metalic interference was often noticible mainly in left earbud when audio was being outputted making it harder to hear other party on video calls. Other party said they could hear me clearly. Started having issues with audio pausing on iPhone (playing Spotify) and having to take out phone and press play to resume (only wore right earbud with iPhone).

After 5-6 weeks:

Earbuds would randomly disconnect during video calls so would need to use chat to indicate I had an issue with ear buds and to wait. 

Did a full reset of these as advised and was very difficult getting them to connect back up to my phone (took about 30 mins)

After 7-8 weeks:

Left earbud would mostly either not be working or would emit metalic interference at high volume making it much harder to hear the other person and was easier to remove and just manage with right one which was not as bad. Disconnects happened all the time. On iPhone putting phone into my trouser pocket disconnected the earbud (only wore right one)

After 8-9 weeks:

Other party complained of just hearing interference and had to keep disconnecting and reconnecting so both audio and mic worked in at least one earphone. Disconnecting and reconnecting in Settings was taking much longer (20-30 seconds each). They also seemed to need charging more often and case didn't seem to be lasting as long either - this was just perception though and I could be wrong about that.

Looking on Samsung forums I now see quite a few posts about these types of issues, in particular the left earbud which I had the most issues with.

I have now taken these back and purchased Apple Airpods Pro and have none of the above issues (yet) and there is no interference with other bluetooth devices so can use all at the same time and they work as soon as I put them in my ears so can answer calls and audio is nice and clear. I preferred the design of the Samsung ones but the issues made then unusable with either my phone or PC.

I also have some £25 (not fully wireless) Bludio ones from a market stall in 2016 and they also work acceptably and don't interfere with other Bluetooth devices.

0 Likes
robinwilson16
Journeyman
Options

I just wanted to say that Apple Airpods Pro are not compatible with Microsoft Teams (although work with Zoom etc) so think I will just have to revert back to one of my older headsets for now. Maybe others will have more luck than I had with the Galaxy Buds + which I did really like initially and these do work with Microsoft Teams. It is all very dissapointing 😞

0 Likes
rhea2
First Poster
Options

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply and I'm sorry to hear you weren't able to get this resolved 😞

0 Likes