Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Buds+ battery issues

(Topic created on: 11-09-2020 12:20 AM)
NeoDoug1
Journeyman
Options
Is anyone else experiencing poor battery life on the Galaxy Buds+ earbuds? I have only been using mine for a couple of days, but I'm having to plug them in every night!

The buds are supposed to last for 11 hours as a pair, with the case recharging both buds for a further 11 hours of use - total 22 hours, using both buds, and, I'm assuming, a maximum of 44hrs, if only using 1 bud at a time.

However, today I started with a full charge, and have used a mixture of both buds (just over an hour), and just the right bud (about 6 hrs), and have finished the day with 100% on the less used left bud, 63% on the much more used right bud, but only 12% left on the case! (Note: ambient sound has been switched off all day.) 

For comparison, my Anker Soundcore Liberty Neo buds have a claimed battery life of 5hrs, plus an extra 15hrs from the case, and, using them exactly the same way I have been using the Galaxy Buds+, I would only plug them in every 5-6 days...

Do I have a faulty charging case? Or is the claimed battery lift simply not accurate?

Many thanks for any help!

Doug 
3 REPLIES 3
Lingstone
Apprentice
Options
First of all, the math that leads you to 44 hours is not correct. Maybe 33 hours.

I've had two sets of Galaxy Buds+ (one from UAE and another from Canada). Your experience matches my Arab unit. I've since sold it and now using the Canadian one and life is much better. I previously had the Galaxy Buds and they didn't have this problem.

What I think happens (and it's expected) is that the buds keep charging as long as they are not at 100% and placed in the case. I further think that for the offending Buds+ units, they keep charging even after they're 100% charged.

I hope Samsung issues a fix for this.
NeoDoug1
Journeyman
Options
Hi Longstone. Thanks for your reply!

The reason I got to 44hrs is that each earbud should last 11hrs (if used 1 at a time) and the case should theoretically have more than enough charge to fully recharge both buds, so I should be able to use both of them independently for another 11hrs each, totalling 44hrs...

Each bud has a capacity of 85mAh, and the case battery is 270mAh, so you'd expect it to be able to fill both buds fully, then fill them again to around 50%, but obviously no transfer of power between batteries battery is 100% efficient...

I would expect the case to always top the buds up to 100%, but I do hope that it's not the issue of the case simply not stopping charging when the buds reach 100%, as I thought that was an issue that had been solved many years ago!

I'm new to this forum - do Samsung themselves ever reply to these threads?
0 Likes
NeoDoug1
Journeyman
Options
Minor update:

It certainly does appear that the issue is that the case is constantly charging, even when the buds are at 100%...

This morning I unplugged the case, opened it, and got the pop-up telling me both the buds & the case were 100%. I closed the case. An hour later, I opened the case again, and the buds were (obviously) still 100%,but the case had dropped to 98%, even though the buds had not been used, or even removed from the case!

Seriously not happy about this... These cost 5 times the price of my last buds, but have 1/5th of the battery life?!?
0 Likes