Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Esim LTE watch

(Topic created on: 22-08-2021 11:34 PM)
Manemzjum
First Poster
Options
I've just purchased the new galaxy watch 4G model to utilise the fact if I leave my phone at home I can still receive calls etc. 

Unfortunately my current network (Tesco mobile) do not support esim so does this mean I have bought a 4G watch for no reason. 

I understand that in order for this function to work the network basically assigns your watch an alternative number but somewhere down the line it relates back to your main contact number. 

Currently my only option for esim is O2 (also the network Tesco use so surely they should also support esim?) vodefone or EE which would be a separate network to my main contract so presume this will not work.

Surely it would have been more sensible if the watch would just use it's active 4G connection to connect to your phone at home over the internet using push notifications to alert you of calls texts etc. 

Anyway me else stuck in a similar situation or have a resolution.
0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8
WelshPaul
Troubleshooter
Options

You need to be with EE or Vodafone if you want to use the eSIM along side your existing phone number. Vodafone charge an additional £7 a month for the privilege (OneNumber). Me, I have always used the Bluetooth versions as I never go anywhere without my phone and it's not as heavy on battery use compared to the 4G variant.

My advice comes from being a UK Samsung iPhone user.

Current Devices:
  • iPhone 14 Pro 256GB Deep Purple
  • Samsung Galaxy Buds+ > Model: SM-R175.
0 Likes
ynneL
Troubleshooter
Options
Unfortunately only EE, Vodafone and O2 support eSIM so unless you're on one of those networks you won't be able to use the 4G functionality on your watch
0 Likes
Mitzzz999
Hotshot
Options
If you're near the end, at the end or just on a rolling term with Tesco mobile then you can get your PAC code and transfer your number to a network that supports esims.

Look at returns options for the watch... are you able to return it within a 14 day cooling off period? Was it a online order? Where did you buy it from? Check the terms and conditions of the return.
0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
You didn't hear this from me, right. Tesco Mobile currently operate on O2's PAYG infrastructure which doesn't support a few features. Including Esims at this time. TM is the process of switching to the PAYM infrastructure to enable a bunch of new features. One of the confirmed ones is esim support. There is no estimated date at the moment as they're making sure all the back end system changes necessary are working properly before activating any new features. It's a long term project that they've been working on for a while.
0 Likes
theroninhunter
Pathfinder
Options
I believe three also have eSIMs for new contracts
0 Likes
Manemzjum
First Poster
Options
Thanks but seems drastic having to switch service providers just to use LTE watch.
Suppose I'll just wait till they add support.

Price is only £40 of a difference for Bluetooth model not worth the hassle returning and reordering
0 Likes
Manemzjum
First Poster
Options
Great so might as well just wait thanks
0 Likes
SteveyJ
Pioneer
Options

I made the same schoolboy error but I didn't even realise it was eSIM 🤣 My main contract is on Three, who are aiming to fully role out eSIM sometime this year but I also have a Virgin SIM with my TV package who do support eSIMs. Went through the process yesterday of converting it to eSIM, adding it to my phone, then to the watch, only to be told that Virgin don't support watches with eSIM. Had a quick chat with Virgin who confirmed that they're working on rolling out all the features still but no ETA.

0 Likes