Go to solution Solved

Original topic:

End of life Samsung Active 2 smartwatch

(Topic created on: 22-02-2022 02:57 PM)
Techtalk
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

Does anyone know how I can establish when the end of life for the Samsung Galaxy Active 2 watch is? There is a post on the android central website, with a statement from Samsung (dating to May 2021) stating that updates will not be provided after September this year (though the statement also says it will support products for 'at least' 3 years after the product launch (which was 2019). I have just spent ages on the phone to Samsung product support and they claim not to have the information on when support will end. How can this be??!! is my newly purchased watch going to be essentially useless in 6 months time, or perhaps a bit longer?? This is insane! Security updates are essential and I'm worried!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
CarlH
Options
Wearables

The apps being supported is down to the app developer. Security  updates will still be issued, even if the OS is no longer being updated. 

View solution in context

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
CarlH
Options
Wearables

Hey @Techtalk . Security updates are provided as and when needed (even if the device is no longer receiving new software updates). Our phones typically used to last two Android generations (though that has increased to 4 with the new S22 range). The Active2 runs on Tizen not Android. 

0 Likes
Techtalk
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

Thanks! Very interesting. Still couldn't get a straight answer out of Samsung when I spoke to them though. Yes, I realize it's Tizen OS, not Android... But I'm still baffled about the update situation. Does that mean security updates will continue after other updates (to apps and features, presumably) cease?  Or is it that new features will be unavailable but existing ones will be supported?  And why, when Samsung clearly issued a statement in May last year on end-of-life for the Active 2, does Samsung apparently have no information on it now?? So confusing! 

For the statement, see   https://www.androidcentral.com/theres-only-10-months-guaranteed-support-left-samsung-galaxy-watch-ac...

0 Likes
Solution
CarlH
Options
Wearables

The apps being supported is down to the app developer. Security  updates will still be issued, even if the OS is no longer being updated. 

0 Likes
Techtalk
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

Thanks again - that's a relief. Still worried that I've wasted a rather substantial sum of money on a white elephant, but I'll just cross my fingers...

0 Likes
fiend
First Poster
Options
Wearables

This is a pretty big joke from a "large" company such as Samsung. There are better alternatives with much better support out there.

Thank you for nothing Samsung! Releasing hardware you drop support for faster than you initially lie about? Good riddance!

DLH2
First Poster
Options
Wearables

I have to agree. Just bought the Active2 last summer 2021 and I will not be very happy if they stop supporting it in 2022.  Seems it should be supported for a minimum of 5 years and when you purchase the watch, you need to be informed of the expiration date.  

0 Likes