Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Samsung galaxy watch 3 calculate calories burnt based on heart rate

(Topic created on: 07-03-2021 05:30 PM)
salilsurendran
Apprentice
Options

I have read in several posts that the Samsung galaxy watch 3 doesn't take into account the intensity of the run while calculating calories burnt in running. So if I run at at 6 mph or 3 mph it will give the same number of calories. Is that true? Then it is pretty much worthless as a fitness tracker?

4 REPLIES 4
Ak4
Pioneer
Options

I've had this issue with the galaxy active 2, turns out the workouts that are not running/walking all have preprogrammed calories burned. I've asked for this to be put on the website so people who require fitness tracking do not get sucked into buying a Samsung watch.

I dm'd Samsung help UK and this was the response:

Good afternoon! Thanks for reaching out to us. We just want to clear up that they aren't pre-programmed calories that are burnt. Certain workouts, like walking and running for example, will take into account your heart rate, along with the stats given on your Samsung Health Profile. There are some workouts that will not utilise the heart rate, but will take in to account your Samsung Health Profile and Basal Metabolic Rate. So they are tailored to you, providing your profile is accurate, but you are right, some workouts don't use the Heart Rate Monitor.

If there are certain workouts you feel could be improved, we suggest sending in your feedback through Error Reports on our Samsung Members app. That way, this will be sent over to our Research and Development team for review. ^JS

I've reported it a billion times for it to be changed on the website and maybe update the watch but apparently it's been that way since the watches existed. Better get a fitbit or apple watch for better calories tracking

0 Likes
salilsurendran
Apprentice
Options

Okay so you are saying that for running and walking heart rate is taken into consideration. Do you know if heart rate is taken into consideration for biking. Those 3 are all I need

0 Likes
Ak4
Pioneer
Options

I don't think so I haven't tested it I've just tested running/walking then circuit training/other workout I think any workout that isn't running/walking doesn't take heart rate into consideration 

0 Likes
Ak4
Pioneer
Options

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/wearables/galaxy-watches-and-calories-burned/td-p/3018867

I posted this regarding everything I was told by the reps on Samsung health twitter 

0 Likes