Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coming from Fitbit to Watch3: Where's the total burned calorie count (also the non-excerise ones) ?

(Topic created on: 24-05-2021 01:14 PM)
SonicUth70
Journeyman
Options

Hi all. I Just got my Galaxy Watch 3 yesterday and trying to find my way through all the options and statistics. Overall my impression is quite positive and one of my major goals is to loose and control weight.

However there's one MAJOR thing that I cannot seem to find, neither on the watch nor on the Samsung Health app (on Iphone IOS though). And that is the amount of total calories I have burned during the day. I can see that calories are tracked per activity bases and also during sleep but the sum of all calories is not visible. We do burn calories, even if we're not doing "anything". So far I guess that the calories of the recorded (and auto-detected activities) are most likely captured and shown but what about your overall burned calories? To me this seem extremely useful if one would keep a healthy balance.

To only focus on calories burned when one if active does not seem logic to me. After all insight in the total picture (total burned vs consumed) is the most accurate way to make some decisions. Another illogical thing I noticed is that the steps (and calories going with that) are tracked both from the mobile phone and the watch. In the overview, this can be viewed separately which is well-thought I guess. I am trying to find out how to turn off the addition of the step-count of my phone's moves because this leads to duplication in the number of steps. But more disturbingly I noticed that the calories of both devices step counts are summed up in the total calories. So if one would walk with the watch and phone, one would bet a "bonus" duplication of those calories 🙂 So this really does not make sense but if I can figure out how to disable the addition of those step counts of my phone, it would okay for me.

I have read some disturbing messages that Samsung has removed this statistic quite recently so I wonder if it's true and what the logic behind this is? In my opinion, this is one the most basic functions an activity tracker should have. On the Fitbit, the stats even compared the burned vs the intake of calories. The reason I moved away from the Fitbit platform is the incredibly cheap and crappy hardware (it really breaks every 4 months or so) but I really like their simplicity in terms of statistics and analysis. It's well focuses on the purpose of having an activity tracker/watch.

Do you know if there's a way to get insight information on the total calories burned and if not, what reasoning and logic lead to Samsung's decision to remove this option? As much as I really like the watch, this would be huge disappointment that would even let me consider to return the watch while I can. Going back to the Fitbit is not an option because of their crappy hardware but I will consider maybe other brands that would have this calorie tracking information.

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
SonicUth70
Journeyman
Options

An update to the above w.r.t. to the added step from a mobile device/phone. This seems to be easily solved by dissalowing Samsung Health to read from the section "Collect health and fitness data". This on an Iphone, not sure how it works on an Android devices.

So if you have an Iphone, you would need to do the following:

- Go to the settings on your iphone

- Search for Samsung Health

- Switch off the permission to read for "health and fitness data"

After that you will see that NO steps from your Iphone (and I guess similar from an Android phone) will be added. 

0 Likes
Greeneyedgal
Pioneer
Options
I'm a fitbitter who moved over to samsung watch 3 in December, I never really saw any duplication on steps when using both phone and watch to track them, calories total shows in the health app, please bear in mind that when exercising the samsung with only use HR when walking and running for all other workouts it'll give you a number based on your height, weight, sex and age, so won't be true calories burned, which for me was a deal breaker and 4 months after I switched back to my versa 3, but waiting patiently for the galaxy watch 4. Yes fitbits break easily ( I'm on my 3rd versa 3!) But til samsung utilise the HR for all workouts, I'll stick with fitbit.
SonicUth70
Journeyman
Options

Thanks. Going back to Fitbit is not an option for me. Nothing but hardware trouble, it spoils the fun. In my family, 3 members had fitbit watches. Without expection, all of the watches broke down at least two times. After the warranty ends, one is left with a broken watch. No, no Fitbit for me anymore despite all the nice stuff and data they have.

Back to the issue of the burned calories, I did notice that on some watchfaces, the value is shown. So the information should be there somewhere but it's a pitty that Samsung has decided to take it away from the Samsung health dasboard. This helps a little bit but it would have been much better to embed and integrate this data into calorie management options.

After using the watch for two days now, it look like the focus on the watch is more on the calories spent on activities rather than the overall burned calories. It's an interesting approach but I wonder if they have published any resources on why they went for this. I wish they had combined the best of worlds (why not, the data seems be to there and collected).

0 Likes
Greeneyedgal
Pioneer
Options
They do show total calories if you look where it says active time and click on it, it will have total calories in there as well as active calories, total will include bmr and active.
0 Likes
SonicUth70
Journeyman
Options

That is on the app I assume? On my app it only shows the calories burned relating to the active time, not the inactive ones. No totals. My watch is showing the same. This might be because my app is on IOS (Iphone). Are you on Android?

I did find a clockface that has the total burned calories however that gets reset upon the start of a next day. It would be nice if there was a way to see this data in retrospect as well.

0 Likes
Greeneyedgal
Pioneer
Options
Yes on the app, I have a samsung phone but don't see why it wouldn't show on your iPhone 🤔 I have no active minutes as I'm not currently using a samsung watch. Screenshot_20210524-131245_Samsung Health.jpg
SonicUth70
Journeyman
Options

I just checked the app on a friend's (Samsung) phone and there's indeed the overview like you describe. It has much more info than on the iOS/Iphone from the look of it. I'm stuck with the iPhone (company phone) but am considering now to get an additional Samsung phone to get those additional features (I just crave for statistics 😀). Thanks for your help and checking

0 Likes
Greeneyedgal
Pioneer
Options
You're very welcome, I'm waiting for the samsung active 4/galaxy watch 4 to be released 😀
0 Likes
felicity11
First Poster
Options

This is crazy. The HR feature goes with the calories burned. We will switch back to Fitbit products until there is a way to monitor calories burned.

0 Likes