Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing heart rate zones on Galaxy Watch 5 (Pro)

(Topic created on: 27-08-2022 11:24 AM)
Sami Liedes
First Poster
Options

Is it possible to change the heart rate zones on Galaxy Watch5? It seems they were calculated based on my age, using the the formula HRmax=220-age popularized ages ago by Polar, which is not even correct on average according to scientific literature (see e.g. Robergs et al., The surprising history of the" HRmax= 220-age" equation, Journal of Exercise Physiology (2002)).

In addition to this being incorrect on average (a slightly better formula would be something like 208 - 0.7*age, but it also depends on gender), there is such a big individual variance that age-based estimates are close to useless: For something like 50% of people, 220-age is wrong by more than about 10 bpm in either direction. Differences of 50 bpm in HRmax within Olympic teams are not unheard of.

In my case, I'm slightly over 40; I can sometimes go over 200 bpm in maximal exertion, and I can sustain an average heart rate of about 184 bpm for two hours. Clearly the HRmax=220-age formula produces wildly incorrect results in (not only) my case and any zones defined using it are obviously bogus.

16 REPLIES 16
ghasul
Apprentice
Options

I have a WATCH 4 and 6.22.6.005 on my S22U.  There is an option to set MAX HR to any value.  I set mine to 145.  

Screenshot_20221126_211434_Samsung Health.jpg

Kurz2000
Apprentice
Options

How? I don't recognize that screen, which app / how did you reach it? 

0 Likes
ghasul
Apprentice
Options

you change from the Samsung Health App 6.22.6.005 on the smart phone.

Select "View History" from the Exercise section, then select one of your workouts.

On the line that says "Heart Rate Zones" there is an "i" with a circle around it - tap the i and you'll see that's screen.

RLC69
Apprentice
Options

Hi, I have found where you change the heart rate.

Currently the default  is 220 - age = 167 (Yes, I'm 53!!) 

I was going to set it to the Tanka calculation:-    

Tanka method (208 – 0.7 x age)  = 171ish

Then I noticed that there is a recommended Max Heart Rate specifically for me:-

Members_ZAoqYTJ_0-1674836395051.png

Which is 191....which is quite a difference!!!

Does it look at my previous workout's heart rates, VO2 Max , resting heart rate etc etc ......and come up with a figure???

Does anyone know how Samsung calculate this figure????

0 Likes
LeoMatv
First Poster
Options

Still no way to do this 

0 Likes
DABaden
First Poster
Options

It is now an option within SamsungScreenshot_20231006_083625_Samsung Health.jpg Health. I changed mine yesterday:

0 Likes