Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calories on galaxy watch 3

(Topic created on: 29-12-2020 02:08 PM)
Greeneyedgal
Pioneer
Options
Hi I've recently got the samsung galaxy watch 3, very impressed with the smart features but questioning the fitness tracking side, the overall calories burnt over the day is quite low compared to my previous tracker, it's not a deal breaker but just wondering if this watch is more accurate than my fitbit versa 3 or whether it under estimates? Wouldn't mind a small difference but the GW3 has me at 300-400 cals less a day burnt 😕
5 REPLIES 5
Torbean8
Journeyman
Options

Hi Greeneyedgal, a semi-related question please: does the watch take pulse (bpm) into account when estimating calories burnt? I had a problem with watch active (1 and 2) - those simply return calories burn on the time + type of workout, ignoring bpm. I am just curious if Samsung finally addressed it...

Underestimating daily calories could be the same cause: it does not take bpm into account, just your stats. But I am not sure about it. I used fitbits for years and always burnt more on it than on my current Garmin watch. My top days with hard workouts were up to 500 Cal more on fitbit. So maybe it is a fitbit algorithm that's different and not the GW3 issue after all. When I switched to Garmin I had to adjust my calories expectations :smiling-face:

0 Likes
Greeneyedgal
Pioneer
Options
yes I think you could be right, I've been a fitbit user for 5 years with various devices and I think they take bpm when calculating the calorie burn where as the samsung doesn't but preset amounts based on height n weight (I'm assuming) I also tried a garmin venu a few months ago and cals were lower on that compared to fitbit too, if samsung took the users hr into consideration during workouts I'm sure the cals burnt would be more accurate and higher, hopefully samsung will address this as I'm it frustrates many users!
Torbean8
Journeyman
Options

Well, Samsung hasn't in a few years. I love their phones and UI, but I hate their wearables. And I want to love them so much :smiling-face: GW3 is definitely a smart watch first, fitness tracker second. I've had Garmin forerunner 245 for 2 years now and it is definitely a fitness tracker first. For sports I cannot recommend Garmin more, but you can't watch youtube vids on it's screen :)))

Thank you for the prompt reply!

0 Likes
Greeneyedgal
Pioneer
Options
I'm very new to samsung wearable, been a fitbit gal but they're just so ***** ugly and love samsung phones too! hubby got me the gw3 for Christmas and has a smartwatch it's stunning, I may have to get a fitness band once I start working out again (when I find my motivation 😅)
bartolomei
Journeyman
Options
hello how are you doing
0 Likes