Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calorie Burn Questions

(Topic created on: 12-09-2022 10:20 AM)
lpw_radebe
Apprentice
Options

Hi

I've recently moved from fitbit to Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 and i've noticed a big difference in the calorie burn per day, probably 300-400 calories less burned per day according to the Galaxy Watch - is there a known issue? for my BMI i'm pretty sure i burn around 2400-2500 per day, not the 2100-2200 it generally records.

I also noticed yesterday when recording an exercise on the Watch the calories burned were not added to the overall calorie burn in the day.  I was on 1200 calories burned, then did an an hour playing football and it recorded 784 calories burned during the game.  However after the daily calorie burn was only showing as 1400 so it's just ignored the recorded exercise calories. Why? did i do something wrong?  How can i get the recorded exercise calories included in the daily recorded burn? Seems crazy it's not auto included 

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
Neo001
Legend
Options

Hi,

On the watch, you see the calories burned during "Active time". If you check "Daily activity" on your phone in Samsung Health, it will show you both Activity calories and Total calories.

Fitbit and Samsung or any app/device for that matter, calculate calories consumed using their own proprietary algorithms. There will always be a difference in the amounts shown. These are only an approximation and you should allow for some margin of error. 

General progress over days/weeks is a good indication of how you are doing with weight control, for example.

lpw_radebe
Apprentice
Options

Hi

The Activity cal only shows as 483, whereas the calories during the exercise was recorded as 784 so something not adding up, the 483 is accounted for in other auto recorded exercise i did during the day as well.  I think the auto recording has somehow conficted with the manual recording on the watch.

Even though i manually selected to record football (and it recorded 784 calories) it has also auto recorded other workout at the same time (and recorded only 111 calories) and i think it's only added the 111 calories to the daily burn for some reason. 

0 Likes
lpw_radebe
Apprentice
Options

Sorted it, i looked at the auto detected exercise and realised it had only recorded a few minutes at the end of time i recorded manual exercise, there was 80 mins recorded but heartrate etc was only for a few mins, so i deleted the auto recorded exercise and then when i checked back the daily recorded stats was now showing over 3000 calories burned for the day so it was now including the exercise i recorded! and the daily activity cal was at 1241 now! So thats progress!

So am i right in thinking i need to disable the auto tracking exercise when i manually record an exercise type? is that right? 

Neo001
Legend
Options

Best to start the activity manually. This way, it will record everything. Automatic detion kicks in 10 mins after an activity is detected.

0 Likes
lpw_radebe
Apprentice
Options

I think the problem was i did a 10 minute warm up which i didn't want to record as the football exercise as i like to keep track of just the playing time, then started to manually record the exercise (football) so when the manual recording started the the auto detection then also kicked in.

I wonder if when i'm warming up i need to manually record the exercise as other workout, then when the game starts record the football manually as well - thus removing (hopefully) the auto recording exercise conflict. 

0 Likes
Neo001
Legend
Options

That will work. Deactivate auto recording. Manually start receiving riding as other workout for the warm up. Stop and then start the second one for the actual game.

IndiW
Hotshot
Options
Agree
0 Likes