Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Body Fat totally inaccurate on Watch 4

(Topic created on: 12-02-2022 12:07 AM)
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

I have been using the body composition feature on my Watch 4 classic.  I compared the reading to my inexpensive electronic scales and results from a company medical I had in October last year

My scales consistently records Body Fat between 15-17%.  It's been in that range for a couple of years and matches the company medical using medical grade equipment.  However my Watch 4 consistently records a Body Fat percentage of around 24 - 25 % - done at same time as using scales.  Thats about 10% higher!

Other measures are more or less in line with my scale and past medicals.  Why is the body fat so wrong?

14 REPLIES 14
AngelaP
Student
Options
Hey! I haven't had the measures taken from medical devices, however I use the calliper method for years now and I can confirm that my body fat should be between 15-16% and the watch shows me as around 24-26% too. I tried in the morning with am empty stomach, no water etc however I wear a necklace and some metallic accessories on my wrists. I haven't tried measuring without them yet. I doubt it would make a huge difference though. I hope it gets improved soon with future updates!
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

At least it's not just an issue with my watch!  I don't expect the watch to be 100% accurate and should be used as a guide only,  However body fat showing as 10% fatter is worrying!

Paulf1
Voyager
Options
So I'm still using the galaxy watch is it worth upgrading to galaxy classic which I think is similar in design as I do like the look of my galaxy watch..
0 Likes
GusB
Big Cheese
Options
Interesting....as the watch is still new I use this feature about once a week directly after using my smart scales, I rarely get a variance more than 2% ... So it's very consistent with my scales...

I mean...my scales could also be rubbish they're not medical grade but they give me the same results!
0 Likes
nico81arg
Pathfinder
Options
Having watched some reviews on YouTube some characteristics from the watch seem to be a gimmick, like body fat and blood pressure..
blenky
Helping Hand
Options
I don't think they are gimmicks. However they need to be used in a broad manner. Useful to keep an eye out for any big changes. I use the BPM and find it fairly accurate and a good indicator of anything unusual. I always use the monitor that I use for calibration as well.
VincentValentine
Explorer
Options

I have the same issue. For the last two months I have been questioning the body fat %, the watch fluctuated between 18 to 20%. I just knew it was in accurate just by looking at my physique in front if the mirror. So I got a separate test conducted on the gym SISU machine and it said I am 13% bf (I did the test 5 times). This is incredibly frustrating because I was sold on the innovation of the body composition element. Seriously disappointed. Before anyone asks, I did follow the correct instructions of the position of the watch on your wrist etc. 

Is there any fix to this issue, I have read some threads people saying that it's fine for them...

VincentValentine
Explorer
Options

Tell me about it. It's so pointless if it doesn't work. 

0 Likes
Jelena Manders
First Poster
Options

I just done mine and it shows 15%,also I have done before navy comes up very similar. But I do not wear any juvelery on me at all.

0 Likes