Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEWARE: Galaxy Watch 4 - Won't work on most QI chargers

(Topic created on: 22-08-2021 12:41 AM)
theroninhunter
Pathfinder
Options

It appears Samsung has changed the wireless charging capability, so now it won't charge on most QI chargers. 

https://www.androidcentral.com/does-samsung-galaxy-watch-4-support-qi-wireless-charging

all of the Galaxy Watch 4 and Galaxy Watch 4 Classic models support "WPC-based wireless charging". This means you can't charge your Galaxy 4 Watches with any old Qi wireless charger. It must be compatible with the new Galaxy smartwatches. Currently, only one such wireless charger on the market from Samsung called the Wireless Charger Duo. For now, Galaxy Watch 4 owners who want to power up wirelessly will have to stick to it.
14 REPLIES 14
LionBerks
Pioneer
Options
I've been charging mine without issue on a 2 year old Samsung charging station, but I think it's the duo so that's probably why.
sheplfc74
Helping Hand
Options
Duo and old Active 2 charger both working for me
theroninhunter
Pathfinder
Options
Good to know thanks, I'm hoping the 3-in-1 charger stands catch on and implement a version that works with the watch 4
0 Likes
danc13
First Poster
Options

My GW4 won't charge on a third party charger, but this article doesn't make a lot of sense: it claims that the new watch supports "WPC-based wireless charging" and not Qi, but if you look up WPC you'll find that Qi IS the WPC charging protocol. I wish we could get some clarity as to what exactly the difference is with this watch. 

Pedrosso
First Poster
Options

I came to this post when trying to look why my new 3-in-1 stand couldn't charge my watch. But this doesn't make sense...

PLUS, I've noticed that while it's on it DOES charge for a little bit before turning it off (I saw it go up 1% before pausing). And if the watch is powered off, it KEEPS CHARGING like normal.

It only seems to turn off the charging after like 5 sec when turned on.

So "not being compatible" just sounds like a lie, it gets recognized and works, some software just seem to recognize it's a 3rd party charger and then stops it manually

0 Likes
theroninhunter
Pathfinder
Options
I bright this and it's charging my GW4C perfectly, another reviewer though states it doesn't with for them though.

leQuiven Wireless Charger for Samsung, 3 in 1 Wireless Charging Station for Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3/Flip 3/S21/S21 Ultra/S20, Watch Charger Stand for Galaxy Watch 4/3/Active 1/2/Gear S4/S3/Sport https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09FF5S36T/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_GVBF4KSNJF8BM1RRPK0Y?_encoding=UTF8...
0 Likes
bilonkers
Apprentice
Options

i just want to bump this thread because im just now finding out about the incompatibility of chargers. more people should know about this.

filipefumaux
Student
Options

To be honest, this is some software block. You can charge it perfectly you turn it off.

0 Likes
theroninhunter
Pathfinder
Options
You can't, it displays paused charging
0 Likes