Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow users to turn off Outdoor mode (auto-brightness setting) on Galaxy Watch

(Topic created on: 28-04-2019 08:26 AM)
Spaceman09
Student
Options

This one I find to be one of the most annoying "features" in this device. I often use the watch for hiking and long battery life is of utmost importance when outdoors for a many hours. Boosted brightness is useful sometimes when the sun is really bright in the middile of the day, but in most situations it's not really necessary and even on lower brightness, the screen is perfectly visible. However.. the light sensor is super sensitive and sometimes even in the woods or in cloudy weather the brightness is jumping to 10 which is absolutely destroying the battery.

My appeal is just to give your customers an option to turn off the freaking auto-brightness. Leave it ON as a default setting, I understand that most people will benefit in most use cases, but just give the rest a button to turn that thing OFF, please!

15 REPLIES 15
maddyy
Apprentice
Options

Samsung please notice

AndrewL
Options
@Spaceman09: This should be possible by going to Settings > Display > Auto Low Brightness on the watch itself, or via the galaxy Wearables app on your phone by following the same steps. If you tap the 'sun' symbol on the Quick Panel you can also adjust the screen brightness by rotating the bezel. Hope this helps.
0 Likes
Spaceman0902
First Poster
Options

No, it does not help because by the time I had the watch (more on this in a sec), the software did not allow manual adjustment of the brightness once the Outdoors mode has kicked in. Basically it was either MAX brightness or you turn off the screen completely. It's really hard for me to comprehend why the dev team decided to take that option away from the settings menu, just plain stupidity.

I've sold the Galaxy Watch to a friend, who's mainly using it for notifications and handsfree device - total waste of such good hardware. Now with a Garmix F5+, I am much happier, although, it's not a perfect device either. But at least the watch serves its main purpose to show the time and date ALL the time, and does that for a week on one charge.

I really liked the Galaxy Watch and I really hoped that Samsung will try to take on Garmin, because I know my Garmins, but sadly that did not happen in time (or likely never will, at all) so I am not planning on returning to a Samsung wearable any time soon.

Cheers.

Loukas371
Student
Options

On top of that the outdoor mode gets activated even at night on very low light situations (even though outdoors) which leads to me getting completely blinded every time I look at it on top of wasting battery. Why does it activate after sundown??

tris9495
First Poster
Options

I have just purchased my watch a week ago and i do not like this feature one bit. Max brightness kills my watch battery(when outdoor mode comes on and overrides my usual settings). Please samsung, give you an option to disable this. I have auto brightness turned off, and screen brightness on 4 only to try and maximise battery life.

Novara
First Poster
Options

Has there been any resolution on this? The outdoor mode kills my battery especially when I have BT headset on for my run as well. It goes down from 99% to 55% battery life within an hour.

0 Likes
PeterTim
Apprentice
Options

I'm also experiencing major issues with this outdoor modus! It seems to lower the brightness (triggered by my long sleeve?), and so I nearly see nothing on the screen in very bright sunlight!!! I need to re-activate the screen EACH time I want to see something. All my settings should be ok in order not to have this problem. VERY annoying to have a watch which one cannot read ...

0 Likes
PeterTim
Apprentice
Options
Unfortunately, changing the brightness is disabled by the Outdoor modus....!
0 Likes
Loukas371
Student
Options

I have to note that there was some update that fixed the outdoor brightness for me and now it never gets activated falsely. I haven't caught it annoying me for months.

0 Likes