Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 Pro health app not recording runs correctly

(Topic created on: 17-10-2022 12:25 PM)
Zanny1970
Apprentice
Options
I am using my watch to track runs. The health app does not record the route correctly. Subsequently when this is synced to Strava the distance is not correct. The distance is correct in samsung health, but the entirety of the route is not recorded. This only happens on runs so far, walks are  recorded correctly.

All other elements in the Health App are correctly recorded, heart rate, cadence etc. Elevation and the route are not fully. For instance on a 5km run, the route on the map and elevation are only recorded from 3km.
0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
Reylob
Big Cheese
Options

If you open the run app, the watch uses its own GPS. However, the app does not have a way to wait for it to triangulate, and the route is not recorded. Try to open google maps before opening the running app and wait for google maps to show that it found the satellites, you can see that it is not searching and the circle on the centre is blue, then open the run app. It can take a bit of time to get the right location sometimes.

Zanny1970
Apprentice
Options
Does the watch use my phones GPS if I have my phone with me? This could be the reason it only fails on runs, I don't take my phone with me when I run.
0 Likes
Reylob
Big Cheese
Options

No according to the documentation. The watch uses the phone's GPS but no the health app.

The GPS antenna in your Watch will be used when using the Samsung Health feature and the health platform apps, even though your Watch is connected to your smartphone.

0 Likes
Reylob
Big Cheese
Options

By the way, it is a hit and miss affair with tracking your run. On the phone the app shows the map and you can see when it is ready. The watch starts the countdown whether location is ready or not. That's why I suggested to open google maps to force the location and then start the running. This should be done when the phone is far enough that it is not connected to watch.

Whenever I run, there is always a day that it does not track the run on the map.

0 Likes
Zanny1970
Apprentice
Options
Samsung need to update their app to be like Strava's. They do show that they are linking to the satellites before you start the run.