Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox series X - Q95T screen flickering 120hz

(Topic created on: 11-11-2020 09:19 PM)
kw33
Apprentice
Options

I have a Samsung QE65Q95T tv and i want to use 4k with 120hz on my console, but i can`t get it to work.

My screen starts flickering as soon as i set my Settings on the xbox series x console to 4K, 120hz with HDR10 on auto and VRR enabled. 

(It also starts flickering when VRR is disabled)

Does anyone know how to resolve this?

The software version of my tv is 1403.

41 REPLIES 41
joerolcor
Journeyman
Options

OK.. UPDATE.. and I think good news.   There was an update to the TV last week..  Software update 2101.   With this update I can now run the 120htz, 4k, HDR and VRR with my XBOX Series X.   Where before when I turned on VRR I would loose HDR..  which you could clearly see the diminish in brightness and color.   There is ONLY ONE issue now... when I change the input to my Satellite, which is 1080i and then go back to my XBOX Series X input...  the flickering I discussed earlier in this chat is present.   So get rid of this,  I have to the XBOX Series X settings, turn OFF VRR, go to the 120htz and change it to 60htz, say NO to saving it that way... which then it defaults back to 120htz,  then I go to VRR setting and turn it back ON.   At that point 4K, 120htz, HDR & VRR is all working fine.   And will continue to work fine until I go back to my Satellite input.    There is definitely something wrong with the way the TV is handling the input switching.   But at least it is a step in the right direction...   I think..  LOL.

SKNJ
Journeyman
Options

Are you still having this issue ? i am experiencing it as well 

0 Likes
joerolcor
Journeyman
Options

Yes I did.   I had to do what I said in the above post to get it to work.    I recent got rid of this TV and bought the new Samsung QD-OLED  -   QN77S90CAFXZC.   I no longer have the issue.   No more flickering... full 120htz / 120fps,  VRR on, HDR working for HDR games.    Performance wise... the QD-OLED blows away the other TV.   BUT most importantly the issue with my XBOX Series X is gone.   I just turn it on and play.   

0 Likes
SKNJ
Journeyman
Options

Thanks , I still have the TV and the issue still happens no matter what i do , running the latest firmware. 

maybe i will switch to LG since i have a 55OLED and its great 

0 Likes
Elboulevardo
Journeyman
Options

I still have the issue and if it helps you at all, I’ve found an easy workaround. I’ve enabled all the settings for 4K/120/VRR etc and the flicker only seems to happen now when I use the cable tv input on HDMI 1

if I use the console and turn it off, then use the console again without switching to the cable tv input, I don’t get the issue

when I do, I simply leave the console on, and do a hard reset of the tv (hold power for ~5 seconds) and on reset the flickering stops.  So far it hasn’t failed to work in the last couple of years

saves me having to buy a new tv :smiling-face:

SKNJ
Journeyman
Options

Thank you !! Will try the hard reboot. Have you tried moving the cable box to a different HDMI in your scenario? 

0 Likes
Elboulevardo
Journeyman
Options

No I haven’t tried that because of how i have the tv mounted on the wall and the inputs are inset on the back panel instead of on the side so it’s a lot of effort to change cables on the back.

feel free to try if your setup is more accessible, let us know if it makes any difference but hopefully, at least, the hard reboot trick works for you too!

SKNJ
Journeyman
Options

Thanks , mine is more accessible so i may try it. Ordered a new 8k HDMI cable from anker , will try that first 

0 Likes
SKNJ
Journeyman
Options

@SKNJ wrote:

Thanks , mine is more accessible so i may try it. Ordered a new 8k HDMI cable from anker , will try that first 

Just an update , new HDMI cable made no difference. I happen to be getting a new cable box this week , maybe it will help (ironically the current is a Samsung)

SKNJ
Journeyman
Options

So a new cable box seems to have fixed the issue , previous was a samsung/scientific atlanta , the new one is a google stream device .. still some "wierdness" switching inputs to series x , but the screen jitter is gone thus far 

0 Likes